General Requirements for the Minor
General university degree requirements stipulate that 1) three units of the minor be taken in residence at Puget Sound; 2) students earn a GPA of 2.0 in courses taken for the minor; and 3) all courses taken for a minor must be taken for graded credit. Any exceptions to these stipulations are indicated in the minor degree requirements listed below.
Requirements for the Minor
- 1. Completion of a minimum of five units, to include:
- LTS 200 Latina/o America: A Critical Introduction to Latino Studies (1 unit);
- Three courses from the following list (3 units);
- AFAM 401 Narratives of Race
- HIST 367 Immigration in the U. S.
- HIST 376 Cuba and the Cuban Diaspora
- HIST 378 History of Latinos in the United States
- LTS 300 Latina/o Literatures
- LTS 375 Queer-Latinx: Art, Sex, and Belonging in America
- LTS 400 Special Topics in Latina/o Studies
- PHIL 312- Latin American Philosophy
- PG 304 Race and American Politics
- PG 306 Immigration Politics and Policy in the U.S.
- PG 311 Politics of Detention: Criminal Justice, Immigration, and the War on Terror
- PG 346 Race in the American Political Imagination
- SOAN 215 Race and Ethnic Relations
- SOAN 303 Contemporary Immigration, Race, and Immigration Regimes in the U.S.
- SOAN 350 Border Crossings: Transnational Migration and Diaspora Studies
- SPAN 303 Hispanic Short Story (whenever the course includes significant Latina/o Studies content)
- SPAN 306 Latin American Film (whenever the course includes significant Latina/o Studies content)
- SPAN 307 Latin American and Latino Theatre
- SPAN 310 Special Topics in Literary and Cultural Studies (whenever the course includes significant Latina/o Studies content)
- SPAN 311 Migration Narratives
- A capstone experience (1 unit): LTS 400 Special Topics Seminar in Latina/o Studies or LTS 497 Internship Seminar
- Proficiency in Spanish at a level equivalent to passing SPAN 202.