General university degree requirements stipulate that 1) at least four units of the major or three units of the minor be taken in residence at Puget Sound; 2) students earn a GPA of 2.0 in courses taken for the major or the minor; and 3) all courses taken for a major or minor must be taken for graded credit. Any exceptions to these stipulations are indicated in the major and minor degree requirements listed below.
Requirements for the Bachelor of Science Degree
Completion of the following 5 areas:
- EXSC 200 Introductory Research Methods; EXSC 221 Human Physiology; and EXSC 222 Human Anatomy.
- Biology 111; Chemistry 105 or 110 or 115; Math 160; and Physics 111.
- EXSC 301 Nutrition and Energy Balance; EXSC 328 Neuromuscular Adaptation; EXSC 329 Exercise Physiology; and EXSC 336 Biomechanics.
- EXSC 450 Senior Capstone
- Two units at the 300 level or higher in Exercise Science that are not counted toward the major in another capacity.
Requirements for the Minor
A Minor in Exercise Science requires completion of five courses to include EXSC 200, 221 and 222; and two of the following 300 level courses: EXSC 301, 328, 329, or 336.
- A grade of C or higher must be earned in BIOL 111, CHEM 105 or 110 or 115, MATH 160 and PHYS 111.
- A grade of C or higher must be earned in each of the following prerequisite courses: EXSC 200, 221, and 222.
- The Exercise Science Department reserves the option of either excluding courses more than 10 years old from applying to a major or minor or requiring such courses to be repeated.