General university degree requirements stipulate that 1) three units of the minor be taken in residence at the University of Puget Sound; 2) students earn a GPA of 2.0 in courses taken for the minor; and 3) all courses taken for the minor must be taken for graded credit. Any exceptions to these stipulations are indicated in the minor degree requirements listed below.
Requirements for the Minor in Bioethics
Completion of six units to include:
- One unit of BIOL 101, or 111 (these courses can satisfy the Natural Scientific Core requirement), or the AP equivalent.
- BIOE/REL 292 or BIOE/PHIL 292.
- Three elective units distributed as follows: Scientific (up to 1 course), Ethical (up to 2 courses), and Humanities & Social Sciences (up to 2 courses).
- BIOE 400 Bioethics Integration Seminar.
- BIOE/REL 292 or BIOE/PHIL 292 is a prerequisite for BIOE 392 and 400.
- Students who study abroad may apply one approved course toward the elective requirement unless an exception is granted by the Program Director.
- BIOL 102 Evolution and Biology of Sex
- BIOL 212 Cell Biology
- BIOL 213 Genetics
- BIOL 361 Biochemical Pathways and Processes
- BIOL 362 Nanobiology
- BIOL 370 Conservation Biology
- BIOL 375 Developmental Biology
- BIOL 404 Molecular Biology
- CONN 410 Science and Economics of Climate Change
- EXSC 424 Recent Advances in Cellular and Molecular Mechanisms of Neuroplasticity
- NRSC 201 Introduction to Neuroscience
- NRSC 450 Senior Seminar: Special Topics in Neuroscience
- PSYC 312 Applied Psychological Measurement
- PSYC 320 Psychological Disorders
- AFAM/REL 265 What is Justice?
- BIOE 255 Pandemic Ethics, Law, and Health Inequities
- BIOE/REL 272 Public Health Ethics
- BIOE 350 Clinical Bioethics
- BIOE 392 Practicum: Clinical Bioethics
- CONN 393 The Cognitive Foundations of Morality and Religion Can also satisfy the Connections core requirement.
- PG 348/PHIL 378 Philosophy of Law
- PHIL 105 Neuroethics and Human Enhancement
- PHIL 250 Moral Philosophy
- PHIL 285 Environmental Ethics
- PHIL 286 Ethics, Data, and Artificial Intelligence
- PHIL 370 Social and Political Philosophy
- REL 298 Reproductive Ethics
- STHS 333 Evolution and Ethics Can also satisfy the Connections core requirement.
Humanities & Social Sciences
- BUS 478 Environmental Law
- COMM 352 Health Communication Campaigns
- CONN 320 Health and Medicine Can also satisfy the Connections core requirement.
- CONN 357 Exploring Animal Minds Can also satisfy the Connections core requirement.
- CONN 387 Never-Never Land Can also satisfy the Connections core requirement.
- CONN 478 Animals, Law, and Society Can also satisfy the Connections core requirement.
- ECON 225 Environmental and Natural Resource Economics
- ECON/ENVR 327 Climate Change: Economics, Policy, and Politics
- ENGL 348 Illness and Narrative: Discourses of Disease
- ENGL 374 Literature and the Environment
- IPE 331 International Political Economy of Food and Agriculture
- IPE 389 Global Struggles Over Intellectual Property Can also satisfy the Connections core requirement.
- PG/PHIL 390 Gender and Philosophy
- PHIL 230 Philosophy of Mind
- PHIL 389 Race and Philosophy
- REL 204 Religions of the Book
- SOAN 360 Sociology of Health and Medicine
- SOAN 365 Global Health
- SOAN 370 Disability, Identity, and Power
- STHS 318 Science and Gender Can also satisfy the Connections core requirement.
- STHS 330 Evolution and Society Since Darwin Can also satisfy the Connections core requirement.
- STHS 366 Medicine in the United States: Historical Perspectives
- STHS 375 Science, Technology, and Politics Can also satisfy the Connections core requirement.