General university degree requirements stipulate that 1) three units of the minor be taken in residence at the University of Puget Sound; 2) students earn a GPA of 2.0 in courses taken for the minor; and 3) all courses taken for the minor must be taken for graded credit. Any exceptions to these stipulations are indicated in the minor degree requirements listed below.
Requirements for the Minor in Latin American Studies
- Completion of a minimum of five units, to include:
- LAS 100 Latin American Studies (1 unit);
- One course from each of the following three categories (see lists below): Humanities, Social Sciences, and History (3 units);
- One elective course from any of the categories below (1 unit).
- At least two of the five courses taken for the minor must be at the 300 or 400 level.
- An internship in or related to Latin America or Latin Americans in the United States can count as the elective if it meets university requirements and is approved by the director of Latin American Studies.
- Students minoring in Latin American Studies must complete two semesters of Spanish at the 101-102 level, or one semester at the 200 level, or the equivalent, with a passing grade.
- Upon approval by the Latin American Studies Program, students may complete up to two of the required units of study for the minor when enrolled in a study abroad program in Latin America or in a Spanish- or Portuguese-speaking country.
Students may count only two courses taken to fulfill requirements in their major or another minor towards the LAS minor.
- ARTH 302 The Art of Mexico and Mesoamerica
- LAS 380 Around Macondo in Eighty Days
- LAS 399 Latin America Travel Seminar
- PHIL 312 Latin American and Latinx Philosophy
- SPAN 212 Introduction to Latin American Cultures
- SPAN 300 Literature, Theory, and Practice when Latin American content
- SPAN 301 Literature of the Americas
- SPAN 303 Hispanic Short Story
- SPAN 304 Hispanic Poetry
- SPAN 306 Latin American Film
- SPAN 308 Survey of Twentieth Century Latin-American/Latine Theatre
- SPAN 310 Special Topics in Literary and Cultural Studies when Latin American content
- SPAN 311 Migration Narratives
- SPAN 312 Visual Culture and Modernity in Latin America
- SPAN 402 Seminar in Nineteenth-Century Latin America
- SPAN 405 Seminar in Twentieth and/or Twenty-First Century Latin America
- SPAN 410 Special Topics in Hispanic Studies when Latin American content
- BUS 472 Business in Latin America
- CONN 395 China and Latin America: A New Era of Transpacific Relations
- PG 311 Politics of Detention: Criminal Justice, Immigration, and the War on Terror
- PG 330 Peace, Justice, and Reconciliation in Latin America
- PG 380 Latin American Politics
- SOAN 303 Contemporary Immigration, Race, and Immigration Regimes in the U.S.
- SOAN 315 Identity Politics in Latin America
- SOAN 316 Cultural Politics of Global Development when Latin American emphasis
- SOAN 350 Border Crossings: Transnational Migration and Diaspora Studies LAS credit only when taught by Professor DeHart
- HIST 280 Colonial Latin America
- HIST 281 Modern Latin America
- HIST 367 Immigration in the U.S.
- HIST 376 Cuba and the Cuban Diaspora
- HIST 380 Modern Mexico: From Revolution to NAFTA
- HIST 381 Film and History: Latin America
- HIST 382 Comparative Revolution in Twentieth Century Latin America
- HIST 384 Transnational Latin America
- LAS 387 Art and Revolution in Latin America