Financial Support

  • Grants
    • Community Engagement Initiative Grant
      The Office of Experiential Learning Programs and Support manages the application and awarding process for Community Engagement Initiative Grant funds to assist faculty and staff in taking their class or groups of students off campus to apply their learning through experiences and interactions in the local community. Awards range up to $500 per course (and no more than three awards per department or program). The application is available starting September 1 of each academic year, and funds will be awarded on a first-come, first-served, rolling basis until all available funds have been expended. Awarded funds can be used to reimburse departmental accounts for allowable expenses per parameters outlined in grant award letter. Allowable expenses include transportation expenses, admission tickets, and more. See CEI grant application for full details.
    • University Enrichment Committee (UEC)
      The UEC provides awards for up to $500 to support direct costs related to student research projects, including materials, supplies and equipment, travel, photocopying, and mailing expenses.
  • Discounts
    Faculty and staff should consider inquiring into discounts available for groups, and/or Puget Sound students with local business and organizations when planning off-campus experiences for their students.

    Currently, the university has a Membership for University Student Enrichment (MUSE) with Tacoma Art Museum (TAM), which provides several benefits for Puget Sound faculty, staff, and students, supported through the Catharine Gould Chism Fund for the Humanities and Arts. The Office of Human Resources provides information on this program, and other Benefits & Other Services.



  • University Transportation Resources
    • Van Rental 
      Facilities Services at University of Puget Sound manages two types of vans available for rent by faculty and staff. Vans are “first come, first serve.” The total number of seats per van is either 12 or 15, including the driver. For more information on booking, fees, and driver training/requirements, or to make a reservation, please email Anjie Dunn; Facilities Help Desk Coordinator & Accounts Specialist at, Van reservations should be made at least 3 weeks in advance of the event, and are not secured until contracts are complete, signed, and on file with Facilities Services. Please note that Facilities may require drivers transporting students to go through a training program.This information will be provided by Facilities Services. 

      The associated costs for van rental(s) will be charged to the departmental account designated by the faculty or staff person renting the vehicle. Please note that faculty and staff are able to apply for Community Engagement Initiative Grants to help support off-campus, community-based learning activities. If awarded, these funds will be distributed to the designated departmental account at the conclusion of the activity, once all receipts have been submitted.

  • Public Transportation
    • Orca Card
      The ASUPS Office maintains ORCA Cards for use by students. Student use includes any individual fee-paying student or group of students from the University of Puget Sound for recreational or academic purposes. No non-fee paying members are allowed to use the ORCA cards. ASUPS manages a limited number of ORCA cards for student use, therefore, faculty and staff should plan alternative options in the case ORCA cards are unavailable.

      Faculty/Staff wishing to use the public bus system to transport a group of students to course-related, community-based learning activities in the local area should email ASUPS at to discuss availability and process at least three weeks in advance of planned trip. 

  • Other Transportation Options
    • Vehicle Rentals
      The Office of Finance provides information regarding discounts and outlines the process in securing a rental vehicle off campus for community-based learning activities.  Vehicles rented for university programming are covered under the university’s auto insurance policy when traveling domestically.  Additional coverage is not required. The university does not carry insurance that covers rental vehicles when traveling internationally. Please contact Risk Management at to coordinate options.  
    • Use of Personal Vehicles
      While individuals are always allowed to drive personal vehicles, the owner’s insurance would be the source of any insurance coverage for an accident. As such, Risk Management has an acknowledgement form that they have found useful. Please contact Risk Management for a copy of the form.


Risk Management Considerations and Requirements

  • For insurance purposes, activities that involve going out on boats or flying in aircraft (not including commercial carriers) will require prior approval from the university’s insurance provider. This approval is obtained by contacting Risk Management.
  • If there will be activities that involve interactions with non-matriculated minors, the university’s Policy for the Protection of Minors in University Programming must be adhered to. If our students, staff, or faculty will be considered the supervisors in such interactions with non-matriculated minors (because parents or teachers are not present), annual training and background checks  will be required for involved students, staff, or faculty before the start of the programming. Please contact Risk Management to make arrangements.
  • While the university does not require waivers for every type of activity that may involve physical exertion or travel off campus, if you are contemplating an activity that would be considered physically demanding, elevated risk for physical injury or require special skill, Risk Management can help you identify whether there would be an appropriate acknowledgement of risk form for your students. Examples may include:
    • Climbing activities
    • In-water activities
    • Work with toxic chemicals, or other controlled substances
    • Direct interactions with animals
    • Overnight activities
  • Risk Management:  Stacy Kelly, Chief Risk Management Officer & Assistant General Counsel,,, 253.879.2729


Community Organizations and Partnerships

Faculty and staff interested in working with partners in the local community can reach out to the Office of Experiential Learning and Career and Employment Services to source and explore opportunities for engagement.