Affirming Care for Transgender and GNC Patients at CHWS

I recently changed my name. How do I let campus faculty and administrators know?

One Puget Sound student advocate generously put together a resource guide for students! This document is based on their experiences, and addresses ways to inform faculty, update campus systems, and changing your email. View the resource guide for name changes.

Where can I find trans supportive student groups on campus?

Queer Alliance is a student group specifically for LGBTQ+students and allies. Attendance is open to all. For information about when the group meets, email the Student Diversity Center staff at

Between the Lines is a weekly support group facilitated by psychology staff members from Counseling, Health & Wellness Services (CHWS). The location, meeting day, and time of the group can be obtained by emailing Dr. Erin Potts at

Where are gender inclusive bathrooms on campus?

Gender inclusive bathrooms are marked with "All-Gender Restroom" and include personal hygiene products. See a map of these bathroom facilities.

The Accessibility Work Group began the necessary work to champion for single-stall, accessible bathrooms on campus to serve trans and non-binary students. The Trans Advocacy and Inclusion Committee (TAIC) researched best practices regarding definitions and signage for gender inclusive restrooms. TAIC affirms the use of "all-gender" in labeling and practice because this term is inclusive of all gender identities, including but not limited to individuals who identify with no gender, as well as gender-neutral, and genderqueer identities. Additionally, the Committee recognizes that gender is socially constructed and thus never neutral in practice even as a gender-neutral identity carries meaning and weight in society and lived experience.

What medical services are available in CHWS?

Students already prescribed with and continuing Gender Affirming Hormone Therapy (GAHT) may visit CHWS for medical support. The medical staff at CHWS does not currently assist students with beginning Gender Affirming Hormone Therapy (GAHT). For any questions on campus medical services for trans & non-binary individuals, please contact Libby Baldwin at

The medical staff at Cedar River Clinic ( here in Tacoma conducts a 2 hour consultation before beginning individuals on GAHT. Cedar River Clinic does not require a letter from another provider in order to begin GAHT. Rather, they have an informed consent model that allows each individual to make a fully autonomous decision without a letter from another health professional.

What are the options for gender inclusive housing?

Housing options for transgender and non-binary students vary based on their status as incoming or continuing students. For new students, housing needs are addressed on an individual and confidential basis by the office of Residence Life ( Continuing students have a couple of options including private and more publicly recognized housing. More information about housing options for transgender and non-binary students can be found on the Residence Life webpages.

I am a transgender athlete. What options are available for me within collegiate athletics?

All student-athletes must be in good standing within the rules and policies of the National Collegiate Athletics Association (NCAA). For more information about what this means for transgender student-athletes, please see the Athletics Department Policy on Transgender Student-Athletes (PDF).

If I have a Puget Sound community member who is unwilling to use my name and/or use appropriate gender pronouns with me, what can I do?

Students who experience gender-based discrimination from professors, staff, or students are encouraged to inform the Title IX Coordinator, and fill out a report.  You may also consult with Tolu Taiwo, Chair of the TAIC.

What name will be read at the commencement ceremony?

As part of applying for graduation, students may indicate their chosen or preferred name for commencement. In the graduation application through myPugetSound, there is a section about ceremony information where you will provide the name you want announced as you walk at the ceremony.

While the university will use the chosen name you provide for the commencement ceremony, the university must use the legal name on the transcript.

What are other on-campus resources?

Members of the Office of Institutional Equity and Diversity (OIED) and the Office for Intercultural Engagement are available to meet with trans students to discuss any struggles they may be encountering on campus and will work with students to address issues that could arise. The Transgender Advocacy and Inclusion Committee (TAIC) is an official advisory committee under OIED. Read more about TAIC.

What are some off-campus trans resources?

Tacoma Resources

Seattle Resources

  • Capitol Hill Medical
    • 901 Boren Ave. Suite 705, Seattle
    • 206.720.9999
    • Specifically LGBTQ+ focused clinic
  • Ingersoll Gender Center
    • 517 E Pike St., Seattle
    • 206.849.7859
    • ‘All-Trans’ support group Wednesdays 7 - 9 p.m. Information about services, providers & other resources

Pacific Northwest doctors recommended by local trans folks

  • Dr. Widrow
    • Olympia, WA
    • 360.493.4410
  • Dr. Sara Becker
    • Milwaukie, OR
    • 503.659.4988
    • Is trans herself, 30 years of experience, has seen more than 1,000 trans patients (both FtM and MtF).
    • People say she can be a little abrasive at times but that she ‘knows her stuff.’

Other Resources for health care:

General Resources:

  • Trans Lifeline
    • 877.565.8860
    • A crisis hotline staffed by transgender people for transgender people
  • Hudson’s FTM Resource Guide
    • Information on testosterone, presenting as male, grooming, etc.
    • Not by a medical professional, but by a transman attempting to put together resources for other trans folks