Kilworth Chapel is named for Dr. William W. Kilworth, Puget Sound Board of Trustees member from 1941 to 1964 (chair of the board from 1945 to 1961) and noted Tacoma financial and civic leader. The chapel was erected in 1966 and funded by a bequest in Dr. Kilworth's will to build a classic New England-style chapel. Dr. Kilworth also gave the campus carillon as a memorial to his brother Howard Kilworth.