On occasion experiences will generate concerns and it is important that students have an outlet for appeal. If students feel that a university policy does not serve them well, or if a decision by a university official or committee does not seem appropriate to the circumstances, processes have been established to facilitate appeals.

The links below are intended to serve as a resource for students during the process of filing for appeals. If students are uncertain as to which processes apply to their specific circumstance they should contact their advisor or the Dean of Students Office.


Appeal for Review Process
The only grounds for appeal regarding student conduct decisions are: 1) evidence of a procedural error in the student disciplinary process that unfairly impacted the outcome of the case; 2) unreasonable action unsupported by substantial evidence; 3) new evidence not obtainable at the time of the hearing; or 4) evidence that the sanction is excessively severe.

Appeals Regarding Faculty
For appeals regarding Faculty that do not fit under the umbrella of Harassment or Grade Disputes, students should first attempt to resolve the problem directly with the professor. If this is not possible or desirable, students should next seek to resolve the issue with the faculty member’s Department Chair followed by the Dean of Graduate Studies, Sunil Kukreja (kukreja@pugetsound.edu or extension 3207).

Athletic Eligibility Appeals
Contact Athletic Director, Amy Hackett (ahackett@pugetsound.edu or extension 3426)
Such appeals would include circumstances regarding the academic requirements of athletic eligibility.

Class Disruption Policy Appeals
Such appeals would include circumstances regarding instances when a student wishes to appeal an administrative drop from class for class disruption. Please contact Academic Advising at academicadvising@pugetsound.edu for more information.  

Office of Student Accessibility & Accommodations
A student who disagrees with an accommodation decision made by the Director of SAA may appeal that decision to the Dean of Faculty Affairs.

At any time in a grievance process, students may file a complaint with the responsible state or federal agencies. The right of a student to prompt an equitable resolution of a complaint shall not be impaired by this action. These agencies are:

Education Records Policy – (Please see FERPA)

Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)
Such appeals would include circumstances regarding the right to inspect and review the student’s education records; the right to request the amendment of the student’s education records that the student believes are inaccurate or misleading; the right to consent to disclosures of personally identifiable information contained in the student’s education records, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent; and the right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education concerning alleged failures by the university to comply with the requirements of FERPA.

Grade Disputes
Such appeals would include circumstances when a student believes that a particular grade was assigned in a manner that was arbitrary or unjust, or that crucial evidence was not taken into account. Please contact the Academic Dean's Office at academicdeans@pugetsound.edu for more information.  

On-campus Housing Agreement Appeal
Such appeals would include circumstances regarding requests for refund or cancellation of housing fees.

Parking Citation Appeal
Such appeals would include circumstances regarding requests for waiver or cancellation of fines.

Petition Process for Waivers of Academic Policy
Such appeals would include circumstances regarding petitions to the Academic Standards Committee to have a university academic requirement or rule waived, to seek readmission after academic dismissal, or to seek reinstatement to the university under special circumstances.

Student Employment Appeals
Such appeals would include those for student staff members.

Transfer Credit Appeals
Such appeals would include circumstances regarding the University’s transfer credit evaluation policy.

Note: The Washington Student Achievement Council (WSAC) has authority to investigate student complaints against specific schools. WSAC may not be able to investigate every student complaint. Visit http://www.wsac.wa.gov/student-complaints for information regarding the WSAC complaint process.