Registration Information

Registration week for the Spring 2021 term will be November 6 - 13.  You can begin registering at your assigned time and continue to make changes to your schedule until 11:59 p.m. on Friday, November 13. From Saturday, November 14  through Sunday, November 22 registration is closed. Open registration begins on Monday, November 23 and ends on Thursday, January 14.  To see additional information about the spring registration deadlines please use this link: Registration Deadlines

Here are some steps to that students should take to prepare for registration:

  • If you are an undergraduate student you must meet with your advisor prior to your registration time to discuss your course selection and have your Advisor Registration service indicator released.
  • Prior to registering sign into your and review the "To Do List" section. All students are required to complete the Terms and Conditions/Emergency contact process each term.
  • Review the Holds section. If there are any holds, select the details arrow, then select the link to see if the hold prevents registration. Contact the specific department for information on any action you must take. All students must resolve any registration holds before registering.
  • To prepare for the advisor meeting, review your Academic Requirements report. This tutorial is provided for your assistance:

  • Academic Advising and the peer advisors will be assisting first-year and transfer students with Spring 2021 registration. Attend the following two events to get ready to register: 1) PeopleSoft Mechanics Training Session (attend ONE of the 15 sessions offered), October 26 -29; 2) Registration Planning Meeting (RPM), November 2-6: Attend the RPM scheduled for your advising class. Details on each event can be found on the Spring Registration for New Loggers page.


How Do I Wait-list a Class?

During Registration Week and Open Registration, students may wait-list up to two closed courses. (The wait-list is not available during Freshmen Registration nor during the Add Period.) To add yourself to a wait-list you must check the 'wait-list ok' box as you are adding the course to your shopping cart. If you find a class has closed after you added it to your shopping cart, re-select the course from your cart and check the wait-list ok box. A course that is being wait-listed will have an enrollment status of 'waiting.' The list view of your schedule will show the position number on the wait-list.

Students can use the Manage My Wait-list feature to automatically be dropped from a registered class if space becomes available in the wait-listed class. To set up your preference, choose the "Manage My Wait-list" tab in your Student Center and follow the instructions on the page. Please note that setting a preference for the wait-listed course does not guarantee that you will get a spot in the class. If you do not take steps to manage your wait-list, you could be skipped and the available spot will be given to the next student. You should use the Manage My Wait-list feature if:

  • The wait-listed course will place your schedule in an overload (you may have up to 4.25 academic units plus .50 activity units at no additional tuition cost). If you intend to be in an overload please contact the Registrar's Office for additional assistance.
  • You are already registered for a different section of the same course.
  • There is a time conflict with the course you are registered for and the course you are wait-listing.

Once wait-listed, be alert for email messages sent to wait-listed students.


In Search for Classes, there is a Course Attribute field that allows you to search for Core classes, activity classes, new courses, courses within Interdisciplinary Programs and study-abroad classes (for Puget Sound programs such as Pac-Rim). To search for all classes satisfying a specific Core category, choose Core in the Course Attribute field and the specific category (e.g., Connections) in the Course Attribute Value field.  To search for courses that are included in an Interdisciplinary Program, select  Interdisciplinary Program in the Course Attribute field and the specific program (e.g. African American Studies) in the Course Attribute Value field.

How do I take a class credit/no credit?

Please note that the credit/no credit temporary policy that was offered in the spring 2020 term will be applied to the summer and fall 2020 terms.   For the temporary policy any student may elect to change any Fall 2020 course that normally requires a letter grade (A-F) to Credit/No Credit.  Courses currently approved for Pass/Fail grading would not be eligible. Classes taken with the Credit/No Credit option will fulfill major, minor, and core requirements this semester even though that is not normally allowed in the Credit/No Credit policy. Additionally, classes taken on a Credit/No Credit basis during the Spring, Summer and Fall 2020 terms will not count toward the maximum limit of 4 Credit/No Credit units.

The standard policy is that Juniors and seniors may select the credit/no credit grading option for one academic course per term,  and up to a total of four courses within the undergraduate degree. The credit/no credit grade option cannot be selected for courses taken to fulfill core or graduation requirements.  Courses within the department of the student's major or minor cannot be taken with the credit/no credit grade option. 

To register Credit/No Credit for a graded course, you must take the following steps:

  1. Register for the course as graded.
  2. Read the information about the policy in the Bulletin in the Grade Information and Policy section.
  3. Go to the Office of the Registrar before the end of the add period to register your preference for credit/no credit grade option.

How do I declare my major/minor or change my advisor?

To your change advisor or change/declare a major or minor, you must complete the Change of Major, Minor, and Advisor Form and submit it to the Office of Academic Advising in Howarth 114. See more information on declaring a major/minor or selecting an advisor

How do I run a "What if Report"?

A "What if Report" is a tool you can use to see how the classes you have already completed will full the requirements for any particular major. Click here to view the tutorial created to help you run a "What if Report." 


If a course requires consent you can contact the instructor. If you do not meet the prerequisites for a course you can follow the same procedure.  The instructor will need your UPSID number. The instructor will then enter your UPSID number on the permission page for the course, which will allow you to add the course at the time of your registration.   Remember to add the course to your schedule.  The instructor is not adding you to the course, but giving you permission.  If a class is closed at the time of your registration you will be placed on the wait-list.  The instructor consent does not override a closed class during registration week and open registration.