While at Puget Sound, students may choose to engage in forms in on-campus or off-campus work opportunities. Resources with the Career and Employment Services Office (CES) can help guide you in your career exploration or on-campus job searches. While being an engaged student is a first priority, many students choose to explore work opportunities to enrich their learning experiences. Below are the types of employment opportunities available to international students. There are guidelines and restrictions to each, so please read carefully!


International students in F-1 or J-1 status can work part-time on campus for up to 20 hours per week. Visit Career and Employment Services (CES) for a list of opportunities. Before you can work, you must have a Social Security Number (SSN). See the International Student Advisor for more information about how to obtain an SSN. On-campus employment is only allowable until the date of your graduation.

Off-campus employment:

Off-campus employment is only possible if authorized by the International Student Advisor & USCIS. There are two types of off-campus employment: CPT & OPT.

Curricular Practical Training (CPT) is generally a type of required internship or practicum which is offered by employers through cooperative agreements with the University of Puget Sound, and part of the establish curriculum.

Optional Practical Training (OPT) is defined as temporary employment to gain practical experience in your field of study. OPT is most frequently undertaken immediately following graduation (Post-Completion), but in some circumstances may also be conducted prior to the completion of a degree program (Pre-Completion).

Contact the International Student Advisor if you are interested in working. You can also visit the Career and Employment Services (CES) website to explore more opportunities.

Important: Never accept off-campus employment opportunities without authorization from the International Programs Office!