Center for Writing, Learning, & Teaching
Request an appointment
The Center for Writing, Learning, and Teaching promotes collaboration, curiosity, and critical thinking among peers. We support the campus community in the pursuit of their academic and pedagogic goals, fostering a thoughtful learning community in which people with different experiences, values, and perspectives can grow together.
Our services include:
who are selected through a rigorous application process and who are specially trained to help students get started on a paper (such as an essay, lab report, creative writing, artist statement, etc.), organize their thoughts, or improve their editing skills.
- Subject Tutors in a wide range of subjects who are nominated by professors in their disciplines and who are specially trained to help students individually or in small groups.
- Language Partners who work with multilingual students to help them navigate the conventions and quirks of academic English writing.
- Academic Consultants who are specially trained to help students improve their time management skills, organization, study skills, and test-taking strategies.
- Faculty Consultants who work with students who are writing personal statements for post-graduate opportunities such as graduate school, professional school, or post-graduate fellowships.
- Sound Writing, a comprehensive online writing handbook—written by Puget Sound students in consultation with Puget Sound faculty—that offers advice on writing process, research, grammar, and style to help students develop the socially conscious and “sound” writing that is at the heart of a Puget Sound education.
- Workshops on writing personal statements for graduate and professional school applications and general college success skills.
Resources for writers, including books and handouts on writing, as well as the style manuals for APA, MLA, and Chicago.
Computers for students to use when writing papers and online assignments.
Teaching and learning resources for faculty members, including books and journals, “Wednesdays at 4
” conversations, in-class workshops, and individual consultation with CWLT faculty.
- Events such as the Long Night Against Procrastination, Pi Day, and the Writing Marathon. Study hours and workshops are offered as well, supporting more targeted audiences such as GRE test-takers.
Additionally, to coordinate other programs and services that support student success, the Center works closely with many academic departments and offices on campus, including Academic Advising, Fellowships, Health Professions Advising, International Programs, the Registrar's Office, and Student Accessibility and Accommodation.
To make an appointment
to work with a writing advisor, subject tutor, or academic consultant, go to Howarth 109, fill out this online request form, or call 253.879.3404.
Events at the CWLT
Check out special events at the Center for Writing, Learning, and Teaching.