Education Application Requirements
Start Your Application
Applicants for the Master of Arts in Teaching (M.A.T.) and Master of Education in Counseling (M.Ed.) programs must submit the appropriate supporting materials to the Office of Admission.
- Application: Complete the School of Education Application. The M.A.T. application includes three essay prompts and the M.Ed. application includes one essay prompt. The recommended length is 300-500 words for each prompt.
- Official Transcripts: Arrange to have official transcripts of all completed college-level coursework forwarded to the university. Transcripts should be sent directly by each institution previously attended and reflect the completion of a baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution. (Degree in-progress is acceptable as long as completion date is prior to the start of classes).
- Appraisal of Applicant forms: Arrange to have two (2) Appraisal of Applicant for Degree Candidacy forms completed and submitted.
- M.Ed. candidates should submit at least one academic reference if they have taken coursework at a college or university within the last three years.
- Graduate Record Examinations (GRE) Scores: M.Ed. candidates should arrange to have GRE scores forwarded from the Educational Testing Service. M.A.T candidates do not need to submit GRE scores.
- Résumé: Submit a résumé via the online application.
- An interview for M.A.T. candidates may be requested by the School of Education admission committee at its discretion.
- An interview is required for all M.Ed. in counseling candidates. Interviews are arranged by the School of Education after completed applications have been received.
- Application Fee: A $60 application fee is required. Please submit your payment by check with the Application Fee Payment Form directly to the Office of Admission.
Supplemental M.A.T. Requirements
- M.A.T. candidates are required to submit the Washington Educator Skills Test - Basic (WEST-B), or equivalent, and the Washington Educator Skills Test - Endorsement (WEST-E) or the National Evaluation Series (NES) scores in order to enroll. Score submission is not required for the application process. These exams can be submitted any time up until Aug. 1 of the year of enrollment.
- WEST-B: M.A.T. candidates should arrange to have scores from the WEST-B forwarded from the Washington Professional Educator Standards Board. Out-of-state candidates may substitute either Praxis I or CBEST results for the WEST-B with approval from the School of Education. (SAT and/or ACT scores can be substituted).
- WEST-E: All M.A.T. candidates must meet the content requirements for at least one endorsement area. Secondary candidates must have earned at least the equivalent of a minor (or 5 units) in a content area. Both elementary and secondary M.A.T. candidates should arrange to have scores sent from the the Washington Professional Educator Standards Board for the WEST-E or NES.
- M.A.T. with Music Endorsement Candidates, in addition to all requirements above, must audition and submit transcripts to the School of Music. For more information, contact Megan Grady in the School of Music at firstname.lastname@example.org or 253.879.3228.
Streamlined M.A.T. Admission Process
University of Puget Sound Education Studies minors and/or Bachelor of Music in Education majors in good standing will be reviewed through a streamlined admission to the M.A.T. program. These applicants should submit only the application, a resume, and supplemental testing requirements. Additional materials may be requested by the School of Education admission committee at its discretion.