The following lesson plan materials are provided with each kit. In addition, we have teaching lesson videos for all of the Nature in the Classroom kits on YouTube. We recommend going over these materials before your lesson and adjusting them as needed. If you have additional questions or can't find the materials you're looking for, please email us.
- Nature in the Classroom Teacher Overview
- Nature in the Classroom Teaching Script
- YouTube Lesson Plan Videos
- Specimen Care & Handling Guide
- Survey Instructions for Teachers
- Nature in the Classroom Pre-Survey
- Nature in the Classroom Post-Survey
- Nature Journal
- Evaluation Form for Teachers
- Lesson 2: Urban Bird Diversity — Birdiversity! Beaks and Feet Background Sheet
- Lesson 2: Urban Bird Diversity — Birdiversity! Field Guide
- Lesson 2: Urban Bird Diversity — Birdiversity! Inventory with Photos
- Lesson 3: Tooth Sleuth — Tacoma Mammal Puzzler Dichotomous Key
- Lesson 3: Tooth Sleuth — Tacoma Mammal Puzzler Slideshow Printout
- Lesson 3: Tooth Sleuth — Tacoma Mammal Puzzler PowerPoint Presentation
- Lesson 3: Tooth Sleuth — Tacoma Mammal Puzzler Inventory with Photos
- Leaves of Change Pre-Survey
- Leaves of Change Post-Survey
- Fossil Teaching Script
- Fossil Journal
- Leaves of Change (Red, Green, Blue boxes) Key
- Fossil Identification Activity Sheet
- Fossil Kit Inventory Sheet
Nature in the Classroom lessons were designed in consultation with the Tacoma School District to ensure they meet 4th and 5th grade science standards.
Washington State Science Standards Emphasized in Nature in the Classroom
- 4-5 LS 1A: Plants and animals can be sorted according to their structures and behaviors.
- 4-5 LS1B: Each animal has different structures and behaviors that serve different functions.
- 4-5 LS1D: Plants and animals have structures and behaviors that respond to internal needs.
Scientific Thinking Skills:
- 4-5 INQA: Scientific investigations involve asking and answering questions and comparing the answers with evidence from the real world.
- 4-5 INQD: Investigations involve systematic collection and recording of relevant observations and data.
- 4-5 INQH: Scientists communicate the results of their investigations verbally and in writing. They review and ask questions about the results of other scientists' work.
Next Generation Science Standards Emphasized in Nature in the Classroom
- 4-LS1 From Molecules to Organisms: Structures and Processes