The Faculty Bylaws establish the duties of the Academic Standards Committee as the following:
- To study, formulate, and recommend academic policies and practices within the context of the academic goals of the University.
- To formulate policies that determine the composition of the student body through standards of admission, rules for probation and dismissal for unsatisfactory work, grading procedures and student evaluation policies, and policies that ensure eligibility for a degree consistent with the University's educational philosophy and ideals.
- To assist the Deans in the interpretation and administration of adopted policies.
- To establish and interpret policies for advising.
- To recommend University and Departmental standards for Honors at graduation.
- To hear student petitions for waivers of academic policies.
- Such other duties as may be assigned to it.