Students are encouraged to use the support services they need (and are eligible for). Determining what is reasonable and necessary is the responsibility of all parties involved. Please see our Quick Reference Guide for more details.
Students need to:
- provide adequate documentation and adequate notice
- discuss accommodation recommendations with their instructors
- abide by the integrity code of the university
- refrain from sharing notes provided by a university paid note-taker
- follow alternate exam procedures in the Center for Writing, Learning, and Teaching if taking exams in that office.
- Notify Peggy Perno, Director of the Office of Accessibility and Accommodations, when there are problems with accommodations, support services or meeting course expectations.
Students must participate responsibly in the support services process in order for it to work.
Our faculty and staff play a crucial role in the implementation of support services. The partnership between faculty, staff and students creates equal access for learning. Like all students, individuals with disabilities want to learn and show what they have learned.
To support them in this endeavor, faculty:
- should direct students who declare a disability to the Office of Accessibility and Accommodations
- should not solicit or review documentation of a disability
- should not discuss disability related information with a student or anyone else in a public setting
- are encouraged to carefully consider what are essential components of the course and provide that information on the syllabus
- should include a syllabus statement about the Office of Accessibility and Accommodations, such as:
If you have a physical, psychological, medical or learning disability that may impact your course work, please contact Peggy Perno, Director of the Office of Accessibility and Accommodations, 105 Howarth, 253.879.3399, or email@example.com. She will determine with you what accommodations are necessary and appropriate. All information and documentation is confidential.
Please contact Peggy Perno, Director of the Office of Accessibility and Accommodations at 253.879.3399 or firstname.lastname@example.org to communicate your questions or concerns.