Graduates of the Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) program at the University of Puget Sound complete requirements to be recommended for certification in the state of Washington.

Details for licensing requirements in states MAT graduates transfer to most frequently, can be found on our MAT Residency Reciprocity page. We have made determinations for endorsements offered through the MAT program followed by the requirements for the states our graduates transfer to most frequently: California, Colorado, Hawaii, and Oregon. The University of Puget Sound has made no determination if the MAT program will lead to licensure beyond these four states.

Each state has different professional licensure and certification requirements. Eligibility for licensure may involve more than degree completion and may include professional examinations, background checks, and fingerprinting. The requirements for licensure can change without notice.

The National Association of State Directors of Teacher Education and Certification (NASDTEC) Interstate Agreement facilitates the mobility of educators with certificates and licenses among states. They maintain a listing of requirements for out-of-state applicants. If you are interested in professional licensure outside Washington State, please check with the appropriate licensing body in that state. The U.S. Department of Education maintains a list of state contacts.