The University of Puget Sound’s Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) program is designed to prepare candidates for Washington State’s first level teaching certificate, the Residency Teacher (First Issue). While the majority of states do not automatically issue out-of-state applicants a certificate or license, they often recognize this first-level preparation and state certification as equivalent, or near equivalent, to their own. States regularly issue a one-year temporary license to allow applicants time to meet full licensing requirements. The temporary license enables a teacher to seek employment with local schools while working to remedy any deficiencies. Full state licensure may entail additional testing and/or coursework. It’s important that MAT graduates considering relocation outside Washington state check with each state’s licensing website for the most current certification requirements.

In exploring other states for teaching opportunities, MAT graduates may find endorsement requirements and grade-level assignments vary from one state to another and licensing bodies use terminology unique to their state. The School of Education’s Certification Officer, Karen Stump, can assist you with navigating these requirements and application procedures. Please contact Karen in the Certification Office with inquiries about transferring your Washington Residency Certificate.

Below is a list of the endorsements offered through the MAT program followed by the requirements for the states our graduates transfer to most frequently: California, Colorado, Hawaii, and Oregon. The University of Puget Sound has made no determination if the MAT program will lead to licensure in states beyond those listed. This information is reviewed and updated annually in August prior to the start of each academic year.

Prospective students and graduates alike may want to refer to the National Association of State Directors of Teacher Education and Certification (NASDTECKnowledge Base Resources. This nationwide data base includes a Directory of Certification and Licensure Offices to assist in conducting research and to access requirements for certification.

Current MAT endorsements and grade-level assignments

MAT Elementary (K-8)

MAT Music (K-12)

  • General
  • Instrumental
  • Choral

MAT Secondary (5-12)

  • Biology
  • Chemistry
  • Math  
  • English Language Arts
  • History
  • Social Studies
Licensing Requirements

Contact: California Commission on Teacher Credentialing (CCTC)

California offers a Preliminary Credential as a first-level license and a Clear Credential for experienced teachers who meet all content requirements. Out-of-State applicants with less than three years’ teaching experience and/or who do not fully meet content requirements may apply for a Preliminary Reciprocal Credential. The Preliminary Reciprocal Credential is issued for a maximum of five years. A Clear Credential is issued when all credential requirements have been completed.

MAT graduates with a Residency Certificate (First Issue) are eligible to apply for California’s Preliminary Reciprocal Credential.  Applicants should plan to submit the following:

  • application and fees
  • proof of degree (Baccalaureate or higher)
  • verification of program completion
  • copy of a Washington issued Residency Certificate
  • fingerprints and California background check

The CCTC also recommends applicants submit score reports for basic skills and content area testing.  California may or may not accept out-of-state testing for the Reciprocal Credential.  Submitting your score reports with your application will enable evaluators to assess your qualifications as a whole and determine if additional testing or coursework is needed.

MAT graduates endorsed through the University of Puget Sound, should apply for the endorsements listed below that most closely matching their Residency Certificate.

Multiple Subject Teaching Credential.  Similar to Washington’s Elementary Education endorsement. Teachers may be assigned to teach in any self-contained classroom K-12.

Single Subject Teaching Credentials. Washington teachers with secondary endorsements will apply for the corresponding Single Subject Credential.  These teachers may be assigned to teach their authorized subjects at any grade level, K-12.

  • Biological Sciences
  • Chemistry
  • English
  • Mathematics
  • Music
  • Social Science (History)*

*California does not offer a “History” endorsement.  Applicants may apply for the Social Science Single Subject with a degree major, or 32 semester credits (or the equivalent in quarter units), in anthropology, economics, psychology, sociology, geography, government, political science, or history.

Contact: Colorado Department of Education

Additional Resource: Preparing to Apply (Teachers from Out-of-State/ Out-of-Country)

Colorado does not recognize reciprocity with any other state or jurisdiction.  For out-of-state teachers with less than three years’ post-preparation teaching experience, Colorado will evaluate applications on an individual basis to determine equivalencies in teacher preparation, content preparation, and endorsements.

Colorado has a two tiered licensing system, the Initial License and the Professional License.  They also offer an Interim Authorization for first-time applicants who hold a valid license from another state, but who do not have three years’ teaching experience and/or have not demonstrated content mastery for a Colorado endorsement.

MAT graduates can expect to receive either the Initial or Interim license depending on the outcome of their content evaluation.

While final endorsement equivalencies can only be determined by evaluation, the following is a list of Colorado endorsement areas most similar to those supported by the University of Puget Sound’s MAT program:

  • Elementary Education (K-6)
  • English Language Arts (7-12)
  • Mathematics (6-8 or 7-12)
  • Music (K-12)
  • Social Studies (7-12)

Colorado does not offer single-subject science endorsements (e.g. Biology, Chemistry, Physics, etc.)  Applicants must meet the requirements for a combined Science endorsement (grades 7-12).  Competency for this endorsement may be demonstrated by one of the following pathways:

Documented evidence from an accepted, regionally accredited college or university indicating completion of 24 semester hours of college level coursework that meet the minimum requirement in each of the areas listed below. This may include a maximum of six semester hours of documented professional development or work experience. 
An earned bachelor’s or higher degree in General Science, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Geology or Astronomy. 
A passing score on the PRAXIS Science content exam #5435, with a score of 152 or higher.

Contact: Hawaii Teacher Standards Board

Additional Resources: Where to go: A Guide for Hawaii Teacher Applicants and Licensees.

Hawaii honors reciprocity for all 50 states’ teacher preparation.  They provide three stages of licensing:

The Provisional License for teachers who have completed a preparation program and have less than three years teaching experience.
The Standard License for teachers with three or more years of full-time teaching experience within the last five years.
The Advanced License for teacher with a minimum of five years full-time teaching experience within the last eight years.

MAT graduates qualify to apply for Hawaii’s Provision License. To apply for this three year, non-renewable license, applicants should plan to submit the following:

  • application and fees
  • proof of degree (Baccalaureate or higher)
  • verification of program completion
  • meet the basic skills and content requirements
  • copy of your Residency Certificate
  • professional fitness check clearance

MAT graduates endorsed through the University of Puget Sound, meet requirements for the following endorsements:

  • Elementary Education (K-6)
  • Biology (6-12)
  • Chemistry (6-12)
  • English (6-12)
  • History (6-12)
  • Mathematics (6-12)
  • Music (K-12)
  • Social Studies (6-12)

Contact: Oregon Teacher Standards and Practices Commission (TSPC)

Oregon has a two tiered licensing system: a Preliminary License and a Professional License. Oregon offers a Reciprocal Teaching License for teachers who have completed an educator preparation program and hold an active and valid, non-provisional, teaching license from another state. The Reciprocal Teaching License allows out-of-state licensed teachers to transition into the Oregon licensure system based on the credentials they earned in the other state while working on any missing Oregon requirements. At the end of the one-year Reciprocal term, the teacher must meet the requirements of the Oregon Preliminary Teaching License or another non-provisional Oregon license. The Reciprocal Teaching License is valid for full-time teaching and substitute teaching. A separate Substitute Teaching License is not required.

Puget Sound MAT graduates who have earned their Washington Residency Certificate (First Issue) may apply for Oregon’s one-year preliminary Reciprocal License.  Additional requirements that will need to be completed within the year include passing the Protecting Student and Civil Rights in the Educational Environment exam, and any other testing deemed necessary.

To apply for the Preliminary Reciprocal License, applicants should plan to submit the following:

  • application through the TSPC eLicensing system
  • proof of degree (Baccalaureate or higher) and
  •  verification of program completion
  • copy of a valid, active, Residency Certificate
  • fingerprints and Oregon background check

TSPC also recommends applicants submit score reports from any basic skills and content area tests required for Washington certification. Oregon may or may not accept Washington testing as equivalent.  Submitting your score reports with your application will enable evaluators to assess your qualifications as a whole and determine if additional testing is needed.

TSPC will evaluate your application and supporting documentation and send an email notice indicating either that:

  • Additional documents must be submitted to finalize your application; or
  • our Reciprocal Teaching License has been issued.

MAT graduates endorsed through the University of Puget Sound, should apply for endorsements from the list below most closely matching those on their Residency Certificate.

  • Elementary – Multiple Subjects
  • Biology (preK-12)
  • Chemistry (preK-12)
  • English Language Arts (preK-12)
  • Advanced Mathematics (preK-12)
  • Music (preK-12)
  • Social Studies (preK-12)