Services for Persons with Disabilities

The University of Puget Sound is committed to provide all, otherwise qualified, students equal access to programs and activities by having nondiscriminatory standards in all academic areas, and by providing reasonable accommodations on a case by case basis. Reasonable accommodations are adjustments or minor changes that remove barriers.  They do not involve lowering academic standards or alterations to a program.  Some examples of accommodations are: extended time for exams, note-takers, accessible books, readers, interpreters, scribes, flexibility in attendance, assistance with class registration, and accessible campus housing.

Student Accessibility and Accommodation (SAA) is the university designated office that determines if a student qualifies for a disability related accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973. To begin the process, a student needs to submit documentation, from a qualified, licensed professional that includes a diagnosis, how the diagnosis was established, the functional impairments and a rationale for requested accommodations, to the Director of Student Accessibility and Accommodation,  Please see the SAA website for more detailed instructions and to download intake and documentation forms. Or call 253.879.3399 for assistance. Accommodations are determined on a case by case basis and depend on documentation, student’s needs, requested accommodations, and what is reasonable under the law. Once a student is registered, they will be able to formally request academic accommodation each semester by meeting with an SAA staff member to receive a signed accommodation form that is brought by the student to their professors and returned to SAA with each professor’s signature. The nature of the disability is confidential.  Professors are informed of the accommodations not the diagnosis.  University transcripts will not reflect any involvement with SAA.

A student who disagrees with an accommodation decision made by the Director of SAA can appeal that decision to the Director of the Center for Writing, Leaning, and Teaching or to an Associate Academic Dean.  If such an informal attempt to resolve the disagreement fails, the student may file a formal written complaint to the Associate Vice President for Business Services (ADA/504 Officer), who will chair a Hearing Board consisting of the Associate Dean of Students, the chair of the Academic Standards Committee, the AAO/ Title IX Officer, and a student selected by the Hearing Board in consultation with the ASUPS president. The Hearing Board will then meet with the complainant, the Director of Student Accessibility and Accommodation, and any other involved faculty or staff members relevant to the complaint. The final decision will be determined by the Board in a closed session and communicated in writing to the complainant and to the Director of SAA.

At any time in a grievance process, students can file a complaint with the responsible State or Federal agencies. The right of a student to prompt and equitable resolution of a complaint shall not be impaired by this action. These agencies are:      

Washington State Human Rights Commission
Third Avenue
Seattle, Washington 98101

Department of Justice, Civil Rights Division            
1424 New York Avenue, Room 5041
Washington, D.C. 20005

Office for Civil Rights Region X
915 Second Avenue, Room 3310
Seattle, Washington 98174