Info for Parents Counselors

Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)

Federal and state regulations require that students meet satisfactory academic progress (SAP) toward completing a degree in order to receive financial aid (scholarships, grants, loans, and work-study opportunities). Puget Sound applies these same standards for establishing eligibility for institutional scholarships and grants, including any additional criteria specific to a named scholarship. Requirements of satisfactory academic progress apply to the entire period of attendance at Puget Sound, even though students may not have received financial aid for some periods of enrollment.

Update: Courses taken at Credit/No Credit will not be computed in grade point average.  Courses that earn Credit will be counted toward units attempted and successfully completed.  Courses that earn No Credit will be counted as units attempted but not successfully completed.


  1. Grade Point Average
    Students must maintain a 2.0 cumulative grade point average requirement, reviewed at the end of each semester.
  2. Required Course Completion Rate
    Students must complete at least 75% of the units in which they are enrolled at the end of the drop-without-record period. All incomplete (I), withdrawals (W or WF), failures (F), and No Credit (NC) are counted as courses attempted but not successfully completed.
  3. Maximum Terms of Eligibility
    Incoming freshmen are eligible for financial aid for a maximum of ten (10) terms of full-time study. Transfer students are eligible for financial aid in proportion to the number of accepted units at time of matriculation as outlined in the table below. Students who attend on a half-time basis are allowed proportionately longer.

 Accepted Units

Maximum Terms of Eligibility Full-time

0 - 6


7 - 14


15 - 22




Master’s degree candidates are allowed to receive financial aid up to the following maximums listed by program:

  • M.A.T. – two calendar years
  • M.P.T. – four calendar years
  • M.O.T. – three calendar years
  • M.Ed. – seven calendar years

Washington State Programs

The Washington College Grant (formerly SNG), College Bound Scholarship, State Work-Study, and Passport to College Scholarship programs require a review of eligibility at the end of each semester, prior to disbursing funds or paying of employment earnings for the next semester.

Washington College Grant (formerly SNG), College Bound, State Work-Study, and Passport to College Scholarship recipients must successfully complete 100% of the units in which they enroll each semester in order to receive continued funding. Students who complete less than 100% but at least 50% of their units will be placed on financial aid warning. Students who do not complete at least 50% of their units are ineligible for future disbursements unless approved through the appeal process.

Students not meeting Satisfactory Academic Progress

Satisfactory academic progress is reviewed at the end of each semester. While students will be notified if they have not maintained satisfactory academic progress, it is the student’s responsibility to monitor their own progress.

Financial Aid Warning

The first time a student fails to meet satisfactory academic progress requirements they will be placed on financial aid warning. Students on financial aid warning will continue to receive financial aid.

Students who do not meet the satisfactory academic progress requirements while on financial aid warning will become ineligible to receive further financial aid. Students may appeal for reinstatement of their financial aid if they believe that they had extenuating circumstances that led to their unsatisfactory progress.

Appeal Process

Students not meeting satisfactory academic progress may appeal the loss of financial aid eligibility if special circumstances exist. Appeals must be submitted to Student Financial Services before the first day of classes for the semester in which the appeal applies.

An appeal must be based on significant extenuating circumstances that seriously impacted academic performance. Examples of acceptable reasons for appealing may include death in the family, serious medical illness or injury, or other circumstances beyond the student’s control.

When submitting an appeal, students should provide a full explanation, along with any documentation, regarding why they failed to meet satisfactory academic requirements. It is important that, as part of the appeal, students demonstrate what has changed in their situation that would allow them to meet satisfactory academic progress at the next evaluation.

Download a Satisfactory Academic Progress Appeal Form

Financial Aid Probation

Students with successful appeals will be placed on financial aid probation. Students on financial aid probation will continue to receive financial aid.

During the probationary period, students must meet the requirements of satisfactory academic progress. Failure to meet the requirements will result in financial aid cancellation.

Financial Aid Cancellation

Students must comply with all terms of satisfactory academic progress in order to continue receiving financial aid. If students fail to make satisfactory academic progress while on probation their financial aid will be cancelled and they will no longer be eligible for financial aid (with the exception of private loans). Students may appeal the reinstatement of their financial aid if they can demonstrate extenuating circumstances that prevented them from meeting satisfactory academic progress requirements. Eligibility for financial aid will be reinstated upon a successful appeal or when the student meets satisfactory academic progress requirements.

Financial Aid Reinstatement

Students who have lost eligibility may do the following to reinstate their financial aid.

  • Students may attend the next semester without financial aid or apply for private loans to cover their balance.
  • If at the end of that semester the student meets the satisfactory academic progress requirements, they may submit an appeal to have their financial aid reinstated for the next semester.


Financial Aid Satisfactory Academic Progress Records

Financial aid satisfactory academic progress records are kept in the student’s financial aid file. These records do not appear on the student’s permanent academic record (transcript) in the registrar’s office.

Maintaining SAP

All financial aid recipients should speak to a financial aid consultant to discuss the impact of any proposed changes in enrollment such as dropping a course or withdrawing from the university. Any of these changes may affect satisfactory academic progress and future eligibility for financial aid.

To maintain SAP, remember to:

--plan your class schedule carefully

--maintain excellent attendance

--meet with your advisor

--maintain strong study habits