INTERNSHIPS & VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES
What is an internship?
"Internships" come in many different shapes and forms—for that reason the word has varied meanings.
For some, it means "volunteer," for others "paid apprenticeship." Some organizations require that you earn academic credit, while others don't. Different terms might be used to describe an internship, such as "externship" or "fellowship." In some cases, summer jobs, work-study, or part-time situations might qualify as internships.
The three most common factors that define an internship are these:
- The work has a specific end point; it is temporary, whether it's a month or two years in duration.
- The work includes specific learning objectives.
- The work is performed under the guidance of a supervisor or mentor.
At Puget Sound, it's possible to link some situations that meet these criteria to the curriculum for academic credit. Curious about pursuing an internship for credit? Contact CES.
Current Volunteers/Internship Opportunities for Puget Sound Psychology Majors:
- Hands of Hope Internship. Hands of Hope is Casa de Esperanza’s internship program which recruits recent college graduates and other highly qualified young adults, from throughout the United States. These interns have a desire to help abused, neglected and HIV positive children through work with our agency. Hands of Hope Interns commit one year to live and work with these vulnerable children in the Residential Program’s agency foster homes. Responsibilities include daily care of the children, household management, and the coordination of medical appointments and therapy sessions. The Hands of Hope Interns also work with caseworkers, psychological staff and community volunteers on a routine basis to ensure that the children in placement receive the highest quality of care. For more information on the program and to apply, visit the Hands of Hope Internship webpage.
- APA Summer Undergraduate Research Opportunity. The APA Summer Undergraduate Research Opportunity Grants will provide undergraduates who have little or no prior laboratory experience with the opportunity to gain first-hand knowledge of how scientific research is conducted. The grants are designed to enable psychology departments to hire undergraduates to work as research assistants in faculty members’ labs over the summer of 2018. APA will provide funds to pay each student at the institution’s 2018 rate of pay for undergraduate research assistants (but at least $10 per hour). Visit the APA Summer Undergraduate Research Opportunity webpage for more detail.
- Yale Mind & Development Lab Summer Internship. The Yale Mind and Development Lab, under the direction of Dr. Paul Bloom, is accepting applications for our annual Summer Internship Program. Our research explores how children and adults understand the physical and social world, including topics such as morality, religion, free will, and the nature of the self. For more information, please visit Yale Mind and Development Lab website.
This internship will provide interns with the opportunity to work with graduate students and postdocs on both ongoing and new studies. Because projects are at various stages of completion (from pre-design to post-data collection), interns will be able to be involved with a wide range of activities over the course of the internship. Activities may include developing new project ideas, designing new experiments, recruiting participants, running experiments, analyzing data, and presenting results.
The internship runs full-time from June 4th to July 31st, 2018, and application materials are due March 5th, 2018.
Who can apply? The internship is open to all undergraduate students, including those graduating in 2018. It is particularly suited for students considering graduate school in experimental psychology or cognitive science.
How can I apply? For more information and to apply, visit Mind and Development Lab Summer Internship.
- Society for Personality and Social Psychology Summer Program for Undergraduate Research - The SPSP Summer Program for Undergraduate Research (SPUR) was created to provide an intensive summer internship in the methods of social and personality psychology for undergraduates from under-represented ethnic groups. Participating students conduct research and research-related activities full-time for 8 weeks. For more information on the program and to apply, visit the SPSP Summer Program for Undergraduate Research webpage.
- St. Joseph Medical Center: Visit the FHS website.
- MultiCare Good Samaritan - Luckett House: Luckett House is an assisted living facility. A large part of what the volunteers do is just to visit with the residents to help them develop social skills and encourage them to participate in activities. The residents tend to view the Volunteers as a ‘friend,’ coming in to visit, rather than staff who are an object of authority. Contact Colleen C. Collins - East Pierce Region Volunteer Coordinator, Volunteer Services - MultiCare Health Systems, Phone: 253.697.1523, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- MultiCare Auburn location, Geriatric Psychiatric Center: apply online at: volunteer at MultiCare.
- DCINTERNSHIPS.org is now accepting applications for spring, summer and fall 2018 programs. The Fund for American Studies (TFAS) sponsers semester and summer LIVE. LEARN. INTERN. programs based in Washington, DC. Each program includes courses for transferable credit, a guaranteed internship placement, furnished housing, guest lectures and site briefings as well as professional development and networking events. For more information on these internships and on how to apply, visit DCINTERNSHIPS.org
- City Internships: City Internships runs immersive career training programs for college students and recent graduates. They're designed to expand participants' horizons and get them job-ready. For each program, on top of hard and soft skill building at weekly career seminars, workshops and networking events, participants undertake an internship placement at one of their partner companies. Students and graduates develop real-world skills, build their professional network and fast-track their career.