Canvas is a web-based tool for teaching, learning, and collaboration. Canvas is a particularly strong tool for student learning when all classes use Canvas, as it becomes a one-stop-shop for their academic work, collaborations, and communications. All Puget Sound classes are automatically provisioned with a Canvas site. Canvas integrates with many other teaching and learning tools used at Puget Sound. New features, enhancements and bug fixes are applied to Canvas every three weeks.
Canvas is developed and hosted by Instructure.
All Canvas users log into Canvas with their Puget Sound username and password.
Benefits & Features
Canvas is a management system with a focus on extensibility. Third party learning tools, such as blogs, wikis, Piazza discussion boards and a host of other tools can easily be connected to individual course sites by the faculty who administers a given course. Canvas’ notification and messaging tools are integrated with Facebook, Twitter and a number of other web services; control over where to receive messages resides with each individual user.
Canvas is a particularly strong tool for student learning when all of their classes use Canvas and it becomes a one-stop-shop for their academic work, collaborations, and communications.
The core tools provided by Canvas include:
- Course calendar and scheduling tool
- Announcements, messaging, email
- Customizable notifications
- Rich Content Editor to create webpages, link files, embed media, insert images, etc.
- Assignment tool (collect student submission, provide feedback on-line)
- Quizzes and surveys
- Gradebook, rubrics, and alignment with learning outcomes
- Course-based analytics
- Online video conferencing
- Integrated audio and video tools, including YouTube embedding.
- File sharing
- Groups, group assignments
- Peer review
- Discussion Board
- Class photo roster
- Library reserves and guides
Canvas Overview - Instructors
Canvas Overview - Students
If you have any questions about how best to use Canvas, please email firstname.lastname@example.org