I Am Puget Sound is an annual Passages event during which incoming students get to hear from current students about their experiences at Puget Sound and learn about important Tacoma histories that continue to shape Puget Sound and our broader community. This event seeks to highlight how each of us is a reflection of the broader Puget Sound community. Our experiences, shared and unique, are what make Puget Sound what it is. At I Am Puget Sound, we hope you will begin to see how you get to be part of creating the kind of welcoming and inclusive community you would want to be part of.
Below you will find videos from the 2020 I Am Puget Sound. While each year I Am Puget Sound looks and feels differently, we believe that the below videos are still important for our broader conversations about belonging at Puget Sound and in Tacoma. We hope you will take a listen. These videos will help connect you to the history of our country, our cities, and how this relates to being a part of the Tacoma and Puget Sound Communities.
What is Redlining?
Interactive Map on Redlining:
This is the map from your Bookends reader which was created by a Puget Sound Alumni and student of Professor Gomez. Find your home town or if its a smaller town find a city you are familiar with. Also take a look at your new home in Tacoma.
2020 I Am Puget Sound Presentation:
Listen to the recorded presentation Tuesday or Wednesday before your Orientation group meeting at 6:00 p.m. on Wednesday.
At University of Puget Sound
- Race & Pedagogy Institute www.pugetsound.edu/rpi
- RPI Community Partners Forum (monthly, during academic year)
- Student Association for Race & Pedagogy Institute (SARPI)
- Classes – all African American Studies courses; History courses (ie: H379 – Tacoma Public History); etc.
- Center for Student Support
- Office of Diversity & Inclusion
- Segregated by Design (2018) www.segregatedbydesign.com
- How We Got Here: A Reckoning with U.S. and Tacoma History (2018) https://youtu.be/bsRW81F_zR0
- How Housing Descrimination is Perpetuated Today