Professor of International Political Economy
- Introduction to International Political Economy, 7th ed. (co-author). New York: Routledge, 2019. [Routledge website] [Amazon]
- Introduction to International Political Economy, 6th ed. (co-author). New York: Routledgde, 2014.
- Introduction to International Political Economy, 5th ed. (co-author). New York: Longman, 2011.
- State and Private Sector in Algeria: The Politics of Rent-Seeking and Failed Development. Boulder: Westview Press, 2000.
- “The Knowledge and Technology Structure.” In Introduction to International Political Economy, 5th edition, eds. David Balaam and Bradford Dillman, 235-262. New York: Longman, 2011.
- “Moving into Position: The Rising Powers.” Co-authored with Ryan Cunningham and Rahul Madhavan. In Introduction to International Political Economy, 5th edition, eds. David Balaam and Bradford Dillman, 323-350. New York: Longman, 2011.
- “The Illicit Global Economy.” In Introduction to International Political Economy, 4th edition, eds. Dave Balaam and Michael Veseth, 389-350. Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson Prentice Hall (2008).
- “The Middle East: The Pursuit of Development, Democracy and Peace.” In Introduction to International Political Economy, 4th edition, eds. Dave Balaam and Michael Veseth, 283-306. Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson Prentice Hall (2008).
- “Illicit Economies and Reconstruction in Iraq, Palestine, and Algeria.” In Rebuilding Devastated Economies in the Middle East , ed. Leonard Binder, 55-75. New York: Palgrave (October 2007).
- “Algeria.” (Country Report) In Countries at the Crossroads 2007: A Survey of Democratic Governance, 19-41. Washington: Freedom House and Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield Publishers (2007).
- “Algeria.” In Countries at the Crossroads 2005: A Survey of Democratic Governance, 23-43. Washington: Freedom House and Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield Publishers, 2005.
- “Globalization, Modernization, and the Islamic Salvation Front in Algeria.” In Gods, Guns, and Globalization: Religious Radicalism and the International Political Economy. Vol. 13 of The International Political Economy Yearbook, eds. Maryann Tetreault and Bob Denemark, 153-189. Boulder: Lynne Rienner, 2004. [PDF file]
- “France and the Algerian Revolution” and “The Islamic Salvation Front and Algeria’s 1991 Parliamentary Elections.” In History in Dispute, Volume 15: The Middle East Since 1945, Second Series, ed. David Lesch. Farmington Hills, MI: St. James Press, 2003.
- “The European Union and Democratization in Morocco.” In The European Union and Democratization, ed. Paul Kubicek, 174-196. London: Routledge, 2003.
- “Union Marocaine du Travail,” “Union Nationale des Forces Populaires,” “Union Socialiste des Forces Populaires," “Islamic Salvation Front,” “Abassi al-Madani,” and “Mauritania.” In the Encyclopedia of the Modern Middle East. New York: Macmillan, 1996.
- “Transition to Democracy in Algeria.” In State and Society in Algeria, eds. John Entelis and Phillip Naylor. Boulder: Westview Press, 1992.
- Editor of “Crime, Corruption and the Shadow Economy in the Mediterranean,” a special issue of Mediterranean Politics (12:2, July 2007).
- “Shining Light on the Shadows: The Political Economy of Illicit Transactions in the Mediterranean” Mediterranean Politics 13 (Summer 2007): 123-139.
- “International Markets and Partial Economic Reforms in North Africa: What Impact on Democratization?” Democratization, 9:1 (Spring 2002): 63-86. [PDF file]
- “Round Up the Unusual Suspects: U.S. Policy Toward Algeria and Its Islamists.” Middle East Policy, 8:3 (September 2001): 126-143. [PDF file]
- “Facing the Market in North Africa.” The Middle East Journal, 55:2 (Spring 2001): 198-215. [PDF file]
- “Morocco's Future: Arab, African or European?” Foreign Policy, Summer 2000. In a special supplement on Morocco in the Global Economy.”
- “Parliamentary Elections and the Prospects for Political Pluralism in North Africa.” Government and Opposition, 35:2 (April 2000): 211-236.
- “Ranking the Presses: Political Scientists’ Evaluations of Publisher Quality.” PS: Political Science and Politics, 32:2 (June 1999): 257-262. Co-authored with Larry Goodson and Anil Hira. [PDF file]
- “The Political Economy of Structural Adjustment in Tunisia and Algeria.” Journal of North African Studies, 3:3 (Autumn 1998): 1-24.
- “Reassessing the Algerian Economy: Development and Reform Through the Eyes of Five Policy Makers.” Journal of Modern African Studies, 35:1 (March 1997): 153-174.
- “Regime Strengthening Results of Liberalization in Algeria since 1975.” Journal of the Middle East Studies Society, 2:1 (1988): 3-22.