The University of Puget Sound Miki Scholar Award for study in Japan will be awarded for the 2022-23 academic year. The Miki Memorial Endowment Fund generously funds this award. The Endowment was established in 1994 with the support of the Miki Foundation and the Japan Foundation to promote mutual understanding and friendship between Japan and the United States. Since then, the Miki Scholar Program has alternately sponsored a Japanese Miki Scholar at Puget Sound and Puget Sound students’ research activities in Japan. Starting in 2016-17, the Endowment has supported a full year of Japanese language study in Kyoto for one Puget Sound graduate every three years.
The Miki Memorial Endowment fund provides to the Puget Sound Miki Scholar sufficient funds to cover tuition and fees for twelve months of intensive Japanese language study at the Kyoto Institute of Culture and Language (KICL), plus a monthly stipend of 200,000 yen to cover housing, national health insurance, local transportation and daily expenses. The Scholar will also receive a round-trip airline ticket to Japan. The Miki Scholar will be expected to live with a host family for at least the first six months, after which the Scholar may choose to continue the homestay or move to a dormitory. KICL will assist the Scholar in arranging to the house.
The Scholar will be expected to stay in Japan for the entire year without returning to the United States and is required to submit quarterly progress reports and final grades to the Miki Committee upon completing the year of study.
Who Should Apply?
Applicants may include current Puget Sound seniors or former Puget Sound students who have graduated within five years of the award. Some prior experience in Japan and adequate Japanese language study are recommended. All other considerations being equal, preference will be given to applicants with a stronger language background. Awards will be determined by the application’s overall strength rather than on specific undergraduate majors or future career interests of the applicant.
Criteria for Award
The criteria to be used by the Miki Committee in selecting a Miki Scholar include:
- Significance of the proposed language study to the applicant’s professional goals;
- Evidence and promise of superior academic achievement;
- Evidence of the applicant’s commitment to the study of Japanese language and culture;
- The degree of interest in Japanese studies as evidenced by the applicant’s course work or other activities;
- The willingness of the applicant to be flexible and to adapt to life in another culture;
- Evidence of an understanding that applicants will be regarded as a representative of the University of Puget Sound during the award and of a willingness to conduct themselves professionally.
To apply, please complete the application form below. The deadline for applications is March 1, 2022.