Space Allocation Policy
In order to distribute limited data storage resources fairly and in accordance with the university's mission, Technology Services allocates space as follows:
Google Workspace Storage (includes items in Google Mail, My Drive, and Photos) – 10 GB (Students), 20 GB (Faculty/Staff)
You will begin to see warning messages in Google Workspace when your storage is almost full. If you exceed your storage quota, you will experience disruption to these services:
- Google Drive - You won’t be able to sync or upload new files. You will not be able to create new files in Google Docs, Sheets, Slides, Drawings, Forms, and Jamboard. Until you reduce the amount of storage you use, neither you nor anyone else can edit or copy your affected files.
- Google Photos - You won’t be able to add more or back up existing photos or videos.
- Google Mail - You will still be able to send and receive emails due to the university’s education licensing.
For recommendations on how to clear space in Google Drive, Gmail, and Google Photos, please see this article: https://support.google.com/mail/answer/6374270.
Individual Network Share – 4 GB for students, 6 GB for staff, and 10 GB for faculty
The university has two share servers:
- The academic file server is for use by faculty (\\facultyfiles) and students (\\studentfiles).
- The administrative file server is for use by departments and staff (\\stafffiles).
At 100% usage, the system will no longer allow you to write to your individual network share. Access will be restored once you delete items from your share.
Individual network shares are held in accordance with the university’s Email, Voice Mail, and Network Access Policy which states, in part, that reasonable effort will be made to ensure each share remains private. We do not routinely monitor the contents of individual network shares, but we cannot guarantee absolute privacy.
Departmental Network Shares – 2 GB per user
By default, departmental network shares are generally accessible to a group of people to support the work in their department or administrative unit. These shares are allocated 2 GB of space per departmental share user. Student organizations may have shares created upon the written request of that organization's advisor.
Procedure for Increasing a Share
To request an increase, please send a request to the Technology Service Desk at email@example.com specifying the amount of additional space requested and why it is required. Requests will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
Procedure for Accessing or Creating a Departmental Network Share
Access to a departmental network share may be granted by the administrator of that share through PeopleSoft Campus Account Management or a request to the Technology Service Desk at firstname.lastname@example.org. The request should come from a supervisor or an individual who currently has access to the network share.
Creation of a new departmental share requires a request to the Technology Service Desk at email@example.com. Please provide the email address of each user who should have access to the new share and whether they need read only or modify access.