The operation of an unmanned aircraft system (UAS), a drone, is regulated by the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA). As a private institution, The University of Puget Sound (Puget Sound) establishes the following policy to govern the operation by any person of a UAS from or above the university campus.
This policy is established to require and ensure compliance with all applicable laws, minimize safety and property damage risks, and preserve the security and privacy of Puget Sound community members.
Primary Guidance to Which This Policy Responds
This policy primarily responds to FAA guidelines and requirements that promote the safe and responsible use of unmanned aircraft.
This policy is applicable to all students, faculty, staff, contractors, volunteers, and the general public present on Puget Sound property.
Who Should Know This Policy
Any person who may have interest in operating a UAS from or above the Puget Sound campus should know about this policy.
Responsible University Representatives
The Associate Vice President for Business Services is responsible for policy maintenance.
Security Services is responsible for policy enforcement.
Any use of a UAS from or over the campus or inside a campus building is strictly prohibited, except in accordance with the following circumstances and procedures:
Hobby or Recreational Use:
- The use of drones for hobby or recreational use on Puget Sound property is not permitted.
Educational or Research Use:
- The use of drones is permitted for approved educational or research purposes.
- Prior approval must be obtained from Security Services at least one week prior to UAS use.
- Users must provide the purpose, date, time, and duration of UAS operations, as well as the area of the campus where the UAS will be used.
- Users must comply with all Federal, State, and City laws.
- Users must have experience in operating UAS and operate them in a responsible manner.
- Users must not operate UAS over areas of public assembly.
- Users must not photograph, video, or monitor areas where non-participating members of the Puget Sound community or general public have a reasonable expectation of privacy.
Any violations of law (such as trespassing, illegal surveillance, reckless endangerment) or violations of Puget Sound policies may subject an individual to both criminal and/or university disciplinary actions. Any injuries or damages to Puget Sound or personal property will be the responsibility of the UAS operator.
Other Approved Use:
- All civil (commercial, contract, or University owned) operated UAS's must comply with all federal (FAA), state, and local laws.
- Users must obtain prior approval from Security Services at least one week in advance of the proposed UAS use.
- A UAS operator may be required to provide a certificate of insurance naming Puget Sound as an additional insured with a minimum of $1 million in general liability insurance.
- Users must file a "flight plan" including date, time, and duration of flight and operational area, with Security Services at least one week prior to commencing the UAS flight.
- A non-university operator may be required to be accompanied by a Puget Sound representative at all times.
- The UAS must be operated in a responsible manner.
- UAS users are not permitted to photograph, video, or monitor areas of the campus where Puget Sound community members have a reasonable expectation of privacy.
Any violations of law (trespassing, illegal surveillance, reckless endangerment) or violations of University policies may subject the individual to both criminal and/or other disciplinary action. Injuries or damages occurring to Puget Sound or private property will be the responsibility of the UAS operator.
Origin date: March 2019
Revision Date(s): None