Applying for Your Student Visa

Congratulations on your acceptance to Puget Sound! Once you have confirmed your enrollment with your deposit, International Programs will begin to work on your I-20 or DS-2019 packet. 

To issue your Puget Sound I-20 (DS-2019 for Exchange Students), International Programs needs the following:

  • Proof of sufficient funds for the first year of your studies at Puget Sound (see the notes on this page regarding accepted documents). For non-degree seeking exchange students, please email International Programs for financial verification instructions, as they vary from degree-seeking students.
  • Copy of your Passport ID Page
  • If in the U.S. already, a copy of your most recent U.S. Visa.

With your I-20 (or DS-2019 for J Visas), you may now start the process of applying for your F-1 or J-1 Student Visa. Please plan ahead and acknowledge that the wait time for visas varies by country. Don't wait until August for your Visa appointment! Below are the general guidelines for applying for a Student Visa.

1. Pay SEVIS Fee (I-901 Fee) online. Be sure to print a receipt and keep with you for your records. If someone else pays the fee for you, make sure you get a copy of the receipt.

2. Pay the Visa application fee and make an appointment at your nearest embassy.

 Bring with you to your Visa interview:

  • Visa Application
  • SEVIS Fee Receipt
  • Valid Passport
  • Passport Sized Photos
  • I-20 or DS-2019
  • Proof of sufficient financial funding for your U.S. education
  • Letter of Acceptance from Puget Sound
  • Proof of English Language Proficiency (TOEFL, SAT, ACT)
  • Evidence that you will return to your home country after your studies

Note that you may not arrive in the U.S. more than 30 days prior to your program start date listed on your I-20.

Note to Transfer Students:

If you are transferring to Puget Sound from another U.S. institution, your SEVIS record will be transferred to Puget Sound.  You will need to complete the International Student Transfer In Form before your transfer can be finalized. The first I-20 you receive from Puget Sound will state "Transfer Pending."  If you plan to travel internationally before arriving to Puget Sound, you can use your "Transfer Pending I-20" once to return to the U.S.  Bring with your your previous I-20 from your old school when you travel, and make sure you keep all previous I-20's for your records.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to email the International Student Advisor.