Wilderness First Aid (WFA) and WFR Recertification Course
May 21 - 23, 2018
Standard 3 day WFA Course Information:
- This is a three day WFA course. Most WFA courses are 2 days and leave little time for scenarios. The three day course offers more time for scenarios which leads to improved skills and better retention. Also wilderness CPR is included in the cost.
WFA Course Syllabus
Course Information, and Registration
This is a 3-day course which is much more comprehensive than most 2-day WFA courses. Most WFA courses are two day courses. By doing so you will become more confident in your skills through additional scenarios and skills are added including how to clear a spinal injury. There will also be additional topics and scenarios not covered in a 2-day course. These topics include allergies, toxins, anaphylaxis, and spine management. Also a wilderness CPR certification is included in the the course which is not usually the case for WFA courses.
- The daily schedule will run from 8:00 am to 6:00 pm. There will be a 45- 60 minute lunch break each day.
- Travel after the course - the course will be over by before 6:00pm on the last day. So you can schedule travel after this. If you are flying you can probable make an 9:00pm flight.
- WFR Re-certification - this course can be used to re-certify a WFR course:
*To use the course as a WFR Re-certification course - $25 is added to the cost and you will take the re-certification test online after the course before your new card is received.
- Course Cost:
- Open to the public
early registration prices and dates $300 before March 31, 2018 and $325 after
- Puget Sound Students
early registration prices and dates $225 before March 31, 2018 and $275 after
- On-campus - You can register at the Expeditionary on campus with check, cash or credit card.
- Over the phone - complete the registration form and email, mail or fax it to us and we will contact you for a credit card (master card or visa only). You will be registered once payment is complete.
- By Mail - you can register by mailing the form and a check for payment to:
Puget Sound Expeditionary
1500 N. Warner Street, #1003
Tacoma, WA 98416
contact us: 253-879-3403
Monday - Friday 4:00pm - 7:00pm PST
WFA Registration form
Necessary Personal Equipment
- Notebook for taking notes (bigger is better—no mini notebooks!)
- Pens and pencils (having colors—at least red, blue, green, and black—will help)
- Watch that can tell seconds
- Water bottle, lunch, snacks
- Clothes, rain pants and jacket, and footwear appropriate for outside activity (they will get wet and dirty—not the best place for your nicest outdoor gear!)
- An extra pair of shoes/slippers to wear indoors
- Simulation Clothing which can be cut to access wounds or cut off.
These are required and will get cut up - clothing should fit and have no holes:
- one long sleeved shirt, buttons are ok
- one pair of long pants
- two shirts without buttons
- IN ORDER TO PROTECT YOUR PERSONAL SPACE DURING SIMULATIONS:
- WOMEN MUST bring and wear a jog bra & shorts or a one-piece swimming suit under your clothing for simulations; they will NOT be cut.
- MEN MUST bring and wear a pair of shorts or swimsuit under your simulation clothes; they will not be cut.
- Food is not provided as a part of the course fee.
- Hours at the Diner and at Diversions Cafe are:
Breakfast and lunch will be available on campus most days and dinner may or may not be available depending on other conference groups.
Course Location and Timing
- The course takes place on the Puget Sound campus with outdoor scenarios on campus.
- The class will be in Thompson Hall 193.
- Here is the campus map,follow the driving directions to the west side of campus.
- You can park in the parking lot at N. 14th and Union Avenue for free.
- Be there ready to go before 8:00 am each morning.
- Monday class will run from 8:00 am to lunch, lunch to a dinner break and then CPR in the evening after the dinner break.
- Tuesday will run from 8:00 am - 6:00 pm.
- Wednesday from 8:00 am - 5:00 pm.
Lodging for Community Members
Housing for Puget Sound Students during the May course
- If you are living in a campus house or hall during the spring semester of 2018 you can request to live on campus during OLE and the WFA course. You will can request this when you sign up for the course at the Expeditionary You can do so when you register for the WFA and OLE at the Expeditionary. You may need move to a different hall, house or different room.
see contact information