Guidelines for Departmental Copier Use
Proper use and care of the copier is vital. The following guidelines will enhance copier reliability for all users.
1. Paper Jams
- Follow the alerts on the copier screen. It will guide you to the sections that have jams.
- Remove all paper (including small pieces) at each site.
- Open and close doors and working parts gently. Many of the nobs and handles for clearing paper jams have arrows indicating which direction to turn them.
- Work from the back of the machine toward the paper exit. Clear jams in the paper drawers last. See the diagram below as an example. Not all areas will need to be cleared in all cases.
If you cannot locate a jam, call x3737, and someone from Print & Copy Services will assist you.
2. Dos & Don'ts of Copier Use
Avoid pressing copier lids onto books—this can shatter the copier glass.
Replace copier toner when indicated.
Copier toner is free from Print & Copy Services. We always have a supply on the shelf. You may request toner with your paper order or any time it is needed. For more information about ordering toner, see Ordering Copier Supplies.
Avoid copying books in a manner that creates a black page edge.
Black edges cause paper jams. To prevent this, mask the book's edges with white paper or use the "non-image area erase" function on your copier.
Plug copiers directly into the wall.
- Do not use extension cords.
- Do not use surge protectors other than those provided by Print & Copy Services.
Do not place anything under copier exit trays.
This includes garbage cans, recycling bins, boxes (empty or full), reams of paper, chairs, or step stools.
For training on any copier on campus, call Print & Copy Services. Arrangements will be made for training sessions.
Additional Copier Related Questions
1. Out of Toner
Always replace copier toner when indicated. Do not shake the cartridge to "get more out of it."
If you don't have spare toner on hand, you can order it through our online order system or pick it up in person from our office. Copier toner is free from Print & Copy Services. We always have a supply on the shelf. You may request toner any time it is needed.
2. Waste Toner Cartridge is Full, or Will be Full Soon
Contact Print & Copy Services, and we will be happy to replace the waste toner cartridge for you.
3. Out of Staples
We always have spare staple cartridges on hand for your copier. You can order extra staple cartridges through our online order system or pick them up in person from our office. If you're unsure how to replace the staple cartridge, please don't hesitate to contact us. We're happy to come out and show you.
4. Schedule Preventative Maintenance (PM)
Copiers need routine maintenance to keep them in good working order. Please contact Print & Copy Services if your copier is displaying a message to schedule Preventative Maintenance.
5. My copier has a C - #### error code. What do I do?
- First, try opening and closing the door to reset the copier.
- If that doesn't work:
- Turn off the copier.
- Unplug the power cord from the wall.
- Wait 30 seconds.
- Plug the power cord back in.
- Turn it on.
- If this doesn't remove the C-#### code, contact the Technology Service Desk at 253.879.8585 or email@example.com.
6. I would like to print to/scan from my departmental copier. How do I do that?
Contact the Technology Service Desk at 253.879.8585 or firstname.lastname@example.org and let them know which copier you'd like to be able to print to and/or scan from. They will contact you and schedule a time to install the necessary drivers. Be sure to provide your Puget Sound username, your department, and your preferred copier.