Appeals Process

A student who disagrees with an accommodation decision made by the Director of Student Accessibility and Accommodation (SAA) can appeal that decision to an Associate Academic Dean.  If such an informal attempt to resolve the disagreement fails, the student may file a formal written complaint to the Associate Vice President for Business Services (ADA/504 Officer), who will chair a Hearing Board consisting of the Associate Dean of Students, the chair of the Academic Standards Committee, the AAO/ Title IX Officer, and a student selected by the Hearing Board in consultation with the ASUPS president. The Hearing Board will then meet with the complainant, the Director of SAA, and any other involved faculty or staff members relevant to the complaint. The final decision will be determined by the Board in a closed session and communicated in writing to the complainant and to the Director of the Office of Accessibility and Accommodations.  

Outside Remedies
The right of a person to prompt and equitable resolution of a complaint shall not be impaired by the person's pursuit of other remedies such as the filing of a complaint with the responsible State or Federal agencies. Use of this complaint process is not a prerequisite to pursuing other remedies from state and federal agencies. These agencies are: 

  • Washington State Human Rights Commission
    Third Avenue
    Seattle, Washington 98101
    Online complaint form
  • Department of Justice, Civil Rights Division
    1424 New York Avenue, Room 5041
    Washington, D.C. 20005
    TTY 202.307.0818  
  • Office for Civil Rights Region X
    915 Second Avenue, Room 3310
    Seattle, Washington 98174
    Online complaint form