CPT - Curricular Practical Training
CPT is defined as work-study, internship, cooperative education, or any other type of required internship or practicum which is offered by employers through cooperative agreements with the University of Puget Sound, and part of the establish curriculum. CPT is an off-campus work authorization.
CPT authorization must be pre-approved by your International Student Advisor. This opportunity is available for current students only. Most students use CPT to engage in positions that are paid and located off-campus. Students must enroll for an academic/ internship credit while engaged in this opportunity, unless an internship is required for your major.
You are eligible for CPT if:
- You have been enrolled on a full-time basis for one academic year
- You are a current Puget Sound student
- You are maintaining valid F-1 status
University of Puget Sound specific requirements:
- You have a 2.5 GPA or higher
- Your internship will have a minimum of 120 hours during the course of the semester or summer
- You have Junior Status or above at Puget Sound
*Note – students who are authorized for one year or more of full-time CPT lose eligibility for OPT.
Eligibility Requirements for Training/Internship:
- The internship/training is directly related to your major area(s) of study
- The training is required by your department for graduation OR you will receive academic credit for your internship
- You will be employed no more than 20 hours/week during a semester. (You may work full time during the summer or university breaks)
Steps for applying for CPT:
- Make an appointment with Allyson Lindsley, International Student Advisor to notify her of your interest in applying for CPT.
- Meet with CES for tools and tips on searching for internships
- Find an internship or offer of employment related to your major field of study. For assistance in finding an internship, consider making an appointment with Career and Employment Services.
- Fill out the CPT Approval Form Form and have it signed by your faculty advisor.
- Enroll for internship credit to mirror periods of employment. If you are planning to do CPT during the semester, Career and Employment Services can help you register for your internship credit. *Note that you can't just register for an internship credit halfway through the semester. You must do so at the start of the semester. Contact Alana Hentges from CES. For a summer position, your faculty advisor can help you register.
- Submit Employer Verification Letter to Allyson
- Make a second appointment with Allyson Lindsley, International Student Advisor, and bring with you all required forms, such as Curricular Practical Training (CPT) Approval Form, Employer Verification Letter, Internship Learning Agreement, and proof of enrollment in internship credit. If you qualify for CPT, Allyson will recommend CPT authorization in SEVIS, and print a new I-20 for you.
- Once approved and registered, you may begin working! You are only permitted to work during your period of authorized CPT - not before your CPT has been approved by Allyson, or after your CPT period has ended.
- If you don't already have a Social Security Number, and your internship is paid, you will need to apply for a Social Security Number before you begin working.
Only when you receive CPT authorization from Allyson, can you begin working. Never accept off-campus employment opportunities without authorization from the International Programs Office. Working without or beyond authorized dates will result in SEVIS record termination, and you will need to depart the U.S.
Resources and Required Documents:
CPT Approval Form.docx
CES Learning Agreement Form
Employer Verification Letter
CES Internship Website