Do I Need to Audition?
In addition to your Puget Sound application, an entrance audition is required for:
- acceptance to a music major
- scholarship consideration, regardless of major
A completed music scholarship/major audition application consists of the following:
- This completed form (link below)
- A completed audition on-campus, or at regional locations in Denver, San Francisco, or Southern California. If you cannot make those dates or live more than 200 miles from an audition location, find out more about submitting recorded auditions.
- Prospective Music majors only: One letter of recommendation from your private teacher or conductor, submitted using our online recommendation form, and a resume of your music experience (presented at your audition).
- Recommended for all applicants: a resume of your music experience presented at your audition.
It is important to note that we do not accept the arts supplement on the Common Application. The audition and accompanying materials replace the arts supplement.
Early Decision Students and Transfer Students
Please see important information for Early Decision students and for Transfer students.
When to Submit This Form
The audition season is a busy time for students and families. Our aim is to help the process be as smooth and rewarding as possible. Be sure and visit the Important Dates and Deadlines page.
- Recorded auditions (for those more than 200 miles away from an audition location): Audition must be submitted electronically.
- Alternate date auditions: For special circumstances only, if you are not able to attend the on-campus audition dates, please contact the music admission coordinator to schedule an audition on a different date (not all dates available). Do not submit the form below until your audition is scheduled.
- Auditioning on two instruments? Please complete the Audition Application twice (once for each instrument). This also applies if you are planning to complete a jazz and classical audition on the same instrument.
- Auditions will be scheduled by the music admission coordinator. You will receive confirmation of your audition time at least 10 days prior to your scheduled audition date.
- Recorded auditioners receive confirmations on a rolling basis, upon processing of audition material.
- If you do not receive your audition confirmation by two weeks before your audition date, please check your junk mail folder.
On Campus: February 1 (bassoon, cello, guitar, harp, oboe, organ, piano, trumpet, violin, voice), February 7 (clarinet, double bass, euphonium, flute, guitar, harp, horn, oboe, organ, percussion, piano, saxophone, trombone, trumpet, tuba, viola, violin, voice)
Denver: January 19, 2014
San Francisco: January 25 (evening) & 26 (day), 2014
Southern California (Orange): February 15, 2014
Students who are admitted to Puget Sound via regular decision application are notified of acceptance to the major and/or receipt of a scholarship at the time they are notified of admission to the college.
Percussion and Organ Auditions
Due to limitations of available equipment, we are unable to provide any percussion equipment or an organ in our regional audition locations in Denver, San Francisco, and Southern California. Both will be available on campus (organ both dates, percussion February 7). If you are unable to audition on campus, please contact email@example.com and submit a video-recorded audition.
Please contact our music admission coordinator with any questions about application procedures.