Wilderness First Aid & Recertification course for WFR
Standard 3 day WFA Course Information:
- January 14-16, 2017 - Syllabus and registration form, please sign-up on campus at the Expeditionary or via mail
- This is a standard three day WFA course. For a full description of this course click here.
- Open to the public - early registration prices and dates $275 before January 1, 2017 and $325 after
- Puget Sound Students, Faculty & Staff - early registration prices and dates $225 before January 1, 2017 and $275 after
Course Information, Syllabus and Registration
This is a 3-day course which is much more comprehensive than most 2-day WFA courses. Most WFA courses are two day courses. By doing so you will become more confident in your skills through additional scenarios and skills are added including how to clear a spinal injury. There will also be additional topics and scenarios not covered in a 2-day course. These topics include allergies, toxins, anaphylaxis, and spine management. Also a wilderness CPR certification is included in the the course which is not usually the case for WFA courses.
- The daily schedule will run from 8:00 am to 6:00 pm. There will be a 45- 60 minute lunch break each day.
- Travel after the course - the course will be over by before 6:00pm on the last day. So you can schedule travel after this. If you are flying you can probable make an 9:00pm flight.
- WFR Re-certification - this course can be used to re-certify a WFR course:
*To use the course as a WFR Re-certification course - $25 is added to the cost and you will take the re-certification test online after the course before your new card is received.
- Registration form and Syllabus:
- On-campus - You can register at the Expeditionary on campus with check, cash or credit card.
- By Mail - you can register by mailing the form and a check for payment to:
1500 N. Warner Street, #1003
Tacoma, WA 98416
Please review the syllabus and course information prior to the course.
Necessary Personal Equipment
- Notebook for taking notes (bigger is better—no mini notebooks!)
- Pens and pencils (having colors—at least red, blue, green, and black—will help)
- Watch that can tell seconds
- Water bottle, lunch, snacks
- Clothes, rain pants and jacket, and footwear appropriate for outside activity (they will get wet and dirty—not the best place for your nicest outdoor gear!)
- An extra pair of shoes/slippers to wear indoors
- Simulation Clothing which can be cut to access wounds or cut off.
These are required and will get cut up - clothing should fit and have no holes:
- one long sleeved shirt, buttons are ok
- one pair of long pants
- two shirts without buttons
- IN ORDER TO PROTECT YOUR PERSONAL SPACE DURING SIMULATIONS:
- WOMEN MUST bring and wear a jog bra & shorts or a one-piece swimming suit under your clothing for simulations; they will NOT be cut.
- MEN MUST bring and wear a pair of shorts or swimsuit under your simulation clothes; they will not be cut.
- Food is not provided as a part of the course fee.
- Hours at the Diner and at Diversions Cafe are:
Course Location and Timing
- The course takes place on the Puget Sound campus with outdoor scenarios on campus.
- The class will be in Howarth Hall room 212. Follow directions to the east side of campus and you can park in any campus lot except in Jones circle.
- Here is the campus map and follow the driving directions to the east side of campus.
- Be there ready to go before 8:00 am each morning.
- Saturday will run into the evening. The exact timing will depend on the groups preference for a dinner break.
- Sunday will run from 8:00 am - 6:00 pm.
- Monday from 8:00 am - 5:00 pm.
Housing for Community Members
Housing for Puget Sound Students during the May course
- If you are living in a campus house or hall during the spring semester of 2016 you can request to live on campus during OLE and the WFA course. You will can request this when you sign up for the course at the Expeditioanry You can do so when you register for the WFA and OLE at the Expeditionary. You may need move to a different hall, house or different room.
see contact information