Wilderness First Aid course (WFA)
WFA courses coming up:
Course Information, Syllabus and Registration
This is a 3 day course which is much more comprehensive than most 2 day WFA courses. Most WFA courses are two day courses. By doing so you will become more confident in your skills through additional scenarios and skills are added including how to clear a spinal injury. There will also be additional topics and scenarios not covered in a 2 day course. These topics include allergies, toxins, anaphylaxis, and spine management. Also a wilderness CPR certification is included in the the course which is not usually the case for WFA courses.
- Sunday - Tuesday May 24- 26th, 2016 Sunday February 14-15, 2015
*note that this is over the Memorial Day weekend
- The daily schedule will run from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm with one evening session. There will be a lunch break each day.
- WFR Re-certification - this course can be used to re-certify a WFR course:
*To use the course as a WFR Re-certification course - $25 is added to the cost and you will take the re-certification test online after the course before your new card is received.
- Registration form and Syllabus:
- On-campus - You can register at the Expeditionary on campus with check, cash or credit card.
- By Mail - you can register by mailing the form and a check for payment.
Please review the syllabus and course information prior to the course.
Necessary Personal Equipment
- Notebook for taking notes (bigger is better—no mini notebooks!)
- Pens and pencils (having colors—at least red, blue, green, and black—will help)
- Watch that can tell seconds
- Water bottle, lunch, snacks
- Clothes, rain pants and jacket, and footwear appropriate for outside activity (they will get wet and dirty—not the best place for your nicest outdoor gear!)
- An extra pair of shoes/slippers to wear indoors
- Simulation Clothing which can be cut to access wounds or cut off.
These are required and will get cut up - clothing should fit and have no holes:
- one long sleeved shirt, buttons are ok
- one pair of long pants
- two shirts without buttons
- IN ORDER TO PROTECT YOUR PERSONAL SPACE DURING SIMULATIONS:
- WOMEN MUST bring and wear a jog bra & shorts or a one-piece swimming suit under your clothing for simulations; they will NOT be cut.
- MEN MUST bring and wear a pair of shorts or swimsuit under your simulation clothes; they will not be cut.
- Food will not be provided as a part of the course. The student center and cafe on campus will be open during regular hours.
Housing for Community Members
Housing for Puget Sound Students during the May course
- If you live on campus during the spring semester of 2015 you can request to live on campus during OLE and the WFA course. You can do so when you register for the WFA and OLE at the Expeditionary. You may need move to a different hall, house or different room. You will need to move out of campus housing by 10:00 am on May 27, 2015.
see contact information