WFA-Wilderness First Aid course information
May 27-29, 2013
Course Dates, Times and Location
- Monday May 27 (Memorial Day) - Wednesday May 29, 2013
- 8 a.m. - 6 p.m. daily
- CPR certification is on Sunday night from 6:30 - 9 p.m. This is not required and is an additional $15 for the certification card.
- The course takes place on the Puget Sound campus in Tacoma. Class in Howarth Hall rooms 212 or 201. You will receive an email with which room you will be in for the course. Follow directions to the EASTside of campus. Driving directions and campus map
About the Course
This is a 3 day, 24 hour WFA course. Many WFA courses are two day courses. This course is one day longer than most WFA courses offered. By doing so you will become more confident in your skills through additional scenarios. There will also be additional topics and scenrios not covered in a 2 day course. These topics include allergies, toxins, anaphylaxis, and spine management.
Registration and Cost
- Community early registration price is $220 by April 12, 2013 and $250 after
Community registration form & course syllabus
- Puget Sound Students, Faculty and Staff early registration cost is $185 by April 12, 2013 and $220, after
Puget Sound Community Information, Syllabus and Registration
- WFR Recertification - this coures can be used to recertify a WFR course:
*To use the course as a WFR Recertification course - $25 is added to the cost and you will take the recertification test online.
- Please send or fax the registration form or drop it by the Expeditionary to register (we will have forms at the Expy also).
1500 N. Warner Street, #1003
Tacoma, WA 98416
call to confirm 253-879-3317
- Please review the course syllabus and information attached to the course registration above.
Necessary Personal Equipment
- Notebook for taking notes (bigger is better—no mini notebooks!)
- Pens and pencils (having colors—at least red, blue, green, and black—will help)
- Watch that can tell seconds
- Water bottle, lunch, snacks
- Clothes, raingear, and footwear appropriate for outside activity (they will get wet and dirty—not the best place for your nicest outdoor gear!)
- An extra pair of shoes/slippers to wear indoors
- Cuttable Simulation Clothing
These are required and will get cut up - clothing should fit and have no holes:
- one long sleeved shirt, buttons ok
- one pair of long pants
- two shirts without buttons
- IN ORDER TO PROTECT YOUR PERSONAL SPACE DURING SIMULATIONS:
- WOMEN MUST bring and wear a jog bra & shorts or a one-piece swimming suit under your clothing for simulations; they will NOT be cut.
- MEN MUST bring and wear a pair of shorts or swimsuit under your simulation clothes; they will not be cut.
- Food will not be provided as a part of the course. The student center and cafe are closed Saturday and Sunday and will reopen on Monday at 7 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.
Housing for Community Members
- We will send out an email list in mid-April to assist you in finding a place to live with participants who live near campus.
- There is camping in the area, and there are a number of B&B and hotel options in Tacoma.
Housing for Puget Sound Students
- If you live on campus during the spring semester of 2013 you can request to live on campus during OLE and the WFA course. You may need move to a different hall or different room on Saturday or Sunday May 18-19. You will need to move out of campus housing by the end of the course on Tuesday May 28.
Contact - Justin Canny
Assistant Director of Student Activities for Outdoor Programs
University of Puget Sound
1500 N. Warner Street, CMB #1003
Tacoma, WA 98416-1003
w: (253) 879-3510
m: (253) 230-7901
f: (253) 879-2932