Wilderness First Aid course (WFA)
WFA courses coming up:
About the Course
This is a 3 day, 24 hour WFA course. Most WFA courses are two day courses. By doing so you will become more confident in your skills through additional scenarios and skills are added including how to clear a spinal injury. There will also be additional topics and scenarios not covered in a 2 day course. These topics include allergies, toxins, anaphylaxis, and spine management.
- Sunday May 25 - Tuesday May 27, 2014
- 8:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. daily
- CPR certification is on Saturday night March 1 from 6:00 p.m. - 9:00 p.m. This is required and is included in the course fee.
- Open to the public - syllabus and registration form
early registration price is $250 by April 11, 2014 and $300 after.
- Puget Sound Students, Faculty & Staff - syllabus and registration form
early registration cost is $200 by April 11, 2014 and $250 after.
- WFR Re-certification - this course can be used to re-certify a WFR course:
*To use the course as a WFR Re-certification course - $25 is added to the cost and you will take the re-certification test online after the course before your new card is received.
- The course takes place on the Puget Sound campus in Tacoma. Classroom number and location TBA. You will receive an email with which room you will be in for the course. Follow directions to the EAST side of campus. Driving directions and campus map
Registration, Syllabus and Cost
See the registration forms above
Necessary Personal Equipment
- Notebook for taking notes (bigger is better—no mini notebooks!)
- Pens and pencils (having colors—at least red, blue, green, and black—will help)
- Watch that can tell seconds
- Water bottle, lunch, snacks
- Clothes, rain pants and jacket, and footwear appropriate for outside activity (they will get wet and dirty—not the best place for your nicest outdoor gear!)
- An extra pair of shoes/slippers to wear indoors
- Simulation Clothing which can be cut to access wounds or cut off.
These are required and will get cut up - clothing should fit and have no holes:
- one long sleeved shirt, buttons are ok
- one pair of long pants
- two shirts without buttons
- IN ORDER TO PROTECT YOUR PERSONAL SPACE DURING SIMULATIONS:
- WOMEN MUST bring and wear a jog bra & shorts or a one-piece swimming suit under your clothing for simulations; they will NOT be cut.
- MEN MUST bring and wear a pair of shorts or swimsuit under your simulation clothes; they will not be cut.
- Food will not be provided as a part of the course. The student center and cafe on campus will be open. Here are the hours during the course.
Housing for Community Members
Housing for Puget Sound Students
- May 25-27 course:
If you live on campus during the spring semester of 2014 you can request to live on campus during OLE and the WFA course. You may need move to a different hall or different room on Saturday or Sunday May 17-18. You will need to move out of campus housing by the end of the course on Tuesday May 27.
Contact - Justin Canny
Assistant Director of Student Activities for Outdoor Programs
University of Puget Sound
1500 N. Warner Street, CMB #1003
Tacoma, WA 98416-1003
w: (253) 879-3510
m: (253) 230-7901
f: (253) 879-2932