Music Alumni Active in Fields Outside of Music
Spokane, Tacoma, New York, Denver: Shawn Bayer '02 has been traveling! Coming to Puget Sound from Spokane,Washington, Shawn majored in percussion while completing his bachelor of music degree with elective studies in business. He played in the Wind Ensemble, University Orchestra, University Band, and Percussion Ensemble, and he was active performing and recording with his band, The Funk If I Know. He served as the cultural events programmer for ASUPS, completed an internship at Broadway Center for the Performing Arts in downtown Tacoma, and was active in his fraternity, Sigma Nu. He also spent a summerat the Aspen Music Festival and School, having been accepted into its audio recording institute.
Shawn developed an interest in the nonprofit world, which led to his pursuing a graduate degree in arts administration at Columbia University. He started his professional career with the Riverside Symphony in Manhattan, as operations manager and development associate while continuing to play in jazz and rock bands. Feeling a pull to return to the West, Shawn accepted a position at the Denver Film Society, where currently he is the corporate sponsorship manager. He still finds time to stay active as a musician as a member of the rock band Curious Yellow. Concurrent activities defined Shawn's Puget Sound experience, and they continue to do so in his rich and varied life in Denver.
A graduate of Lincoln High School, Tacoma native Jared Williams '04 came to Puget Sound as a transfer student from Pierce College. While completing his Bachelor of Music degree in music education, Jared sang in the Adelphian Concert Choir and Underground Jazz, performed in Opera Scenes, and had a lead role in the Puget Sound production of Pirates of Penzance. After graduating, He entered the Police Academy and is now one of Tacoma's finest, serving as a patrol officer for the Tacoma Police Department. He continues to remain active in music through his church, serving as a keyboardist for services and special events.
Jared remembers his time at Puget Sound fondly, a time when he met a wide variety of wonderful people at a college that challenged and enriched him with a "great learning environment." He also has been able to put his skills as an educator to use, now mentoring the next generation of police officers in his role as a police training officer.
Other music alumni (majors and minors) active in fields outside of music:
- Tiffany Barrans '04, International Legal Director, American Center for Law and Justice
- '72, Predisent and CEO, Daymon Worldwide
- Daniil Davydoff '07, Global Health Associate, Eurasia Group
- '00, Boeing
- Helen Frasier '97, Director of Analysis and Policy, Office of Graduate Studies, University of California at Davis
- Josh Haberman '04, Google
- Kyle Haugen '97, Senior Associate Director of Admission, University of Puget Sound
- Brooke (Johnson) Herman '02, MAT '05, Assistant Vice President/Branch Manager at Baker Boyer National Bank, Walla Walla, WA
- Brian Knowlton ‘01, Entertainment Senior Production Manager, Sea World in San Antonio, TX
- Ruth Schauble '05, Assistant Director of Admission and Music Admission Coordinator, University Puget Sound
- Kenneth W. Willman, Chief Legal Officer, Russell Investments