Annual Microscopy Image Contest
- Must be a currently enrolled student or graduated the year of the contest at the University of Puget Sound; any major is welcome.
- Individuals are allowed to submit up to three entries, but these must be of different subjects or utilizing different microscopy techniques.
- Any image taken on a microscope at Puget Sound is eligible (light, fluorescence, SEM, TEM, or confocal microscopy).
- Images can be generated from coursework or research conducted at Puget Sound.
- Images should have been generated any time within the student’s tenure at Puget Sound.
- Maximum file size is 100 Mb, and it is recommended that the file size be no smaller than 3 Mb, although smaller files sizes will not be disqualified.
- Files must be in .JPEG, .TIFF, .PICT, or .PSD format.
- Please submit the highest quality image with regard to file size, bit depth, and resolution.
- Digital editing software may be used to adjust image attributes such as brightness, contrast, and color saturation.
- Digital editing software MAY NOT be used to alter the contents of the image.
All entries must be submitted with the Entry Form on the Science Core Facility website by TBA.
- Will take place at the Fall Poster Symposium TBA.
- Images will be judged by an anonymous panel of Puget Sound faculty, staff, and industry representatives from Nikon and Leica.
- Entries will be judged on scientific impact, visual impact, and technical proficiency.
- Prize winners will be announced at the Fall Poster Symposium.
- One grand prize winner will receive a small digital camera provided by Nikon.
- One People’s Choice winner will receive a wrist watch provided by Leica.
- All entrants will receive a flash drive and mug also provided by Leica.
- All prize winners will be featured in an upcoming issue of Puget Sound Arches Alumni Magazine and on the Science Core Facility Webpage.
- In addition, all prize-winning images will be displayed in the Harned Hall Science Center.