Tuition Tax Credits
Under the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA), many parents and students qualify for a tax credit, the American Opportunity Credit, to pay for college expenses.
To help determine the tax credit you may be eligible for, please review IRS Form 8863 - Education Credits, Instructions for Form 8863, and IRS Publication 970 - Tax Benefits for Higher Education.
For more information, please visit the IRS website.
IRS Form 1098-T Tuition Statement
The IRS Form 1098-T Tuition Statement reports the qualified tuition billed to you and the amount of scholarships and/or grants you received this calendar year. This form is used to assist you and your parents in calculating any educational tax credits you may be eligible for.
Puget Sound has partnered with ECSI to provide you with your Form 1098-T. ECSI services combine innovative technology, intelligent processes, and unsurpassed customer care.
Access, View, and Print
To access, view, and print your Form 1098-T, follow these simple instructions:
- ECSI Website
- Enter School Code = P3, Account number = Student Social Security number
- Click the link "Need help logging in?" to retrieve your Pin/Password
If you have questions regarding the amounts shown on Form 1098-T, please contact us at 253-879-3214. Questions pertaining to the actual preparation and filing of your personal taxes should be directed to your personal tax adviser or Internal Revenue Service. Puget Sound does not provide tax or legal advice.
Understanding your Form 1098-T
- Box 2, Amounts billed for qualified tuition and related expenses, includes Summer 2014, Fall 2014 and Spring 2015.
- Spring 2014 charges applied to the student account in December 2013, these charges were included on the 2013 1098T.
- Box 5, Scholarships or grants, includes Spring 2014, Summer 2014, and Fall 2014
- Box 7 is checked to indicate some of the charges billed are for the next Calendar Year (your charges for Spring 2015)
Sign up for Electronic Delivery (no longer available after 1/23/2015)
If you would like to receive your Form 1098-T electronically, please give your consent by following these simple instructions.
- ECSI Sign Up Website
- Enter your Student ID (UPSID#), Name, and Email Address. We encourage you to use the Alternate Email for the parent who will claim the tax credit.
- Check the Consent box
Watch your email for further instructions!
You will receive an email from ECSI (firstname.lastname@example.org) towards the end of January. This email will include instructions to log into the website and include our school code and your password. Please note that your account number will be your social security number.
If you would like to receive your Form 1098-T through US mail, you do not need to do anything. It will be sent to your permanent address.