Helpful Guidelines for Requesting Support
Help us help you! Here are some simple things you can do that will help us provide you with the best possible service:
Contacting the Service Desk by email?
- Every message to firstname.lastname@example.org automatically generates a new ticket in our system. When you send an email to the Service Desk, please do not include other recipients who might respond by replying to all (since a new ticket is created in our system each time they do so!). Additionally, we can’t see others who are cc’d on your initial message since that information is removed when the message is turned into a ticket.
- Please include as much information as possible (Who? What? When? Where? Why?) and, whenever possible, a screenshot showing the issue you are having. To take a screenshot on a Windows computer, use the Snipping Tool (All Programs > Accessories). To take a screenshot on a Mac, use the keyboard shortcut, SHIFT-COMMAND-4, then drag your cursor around the area you wish to capture.
Requesting permissions, access, or assistance with an office move?
- Requests for changes to an individual’s permissions must be sent by his/her direct supervisor. Example: John Logger needs permissions to one of his department’s shared drives, \\stafffiles\project. The request must be submitted by John Logger’s supervisor.
- Requests for access to data or information must be sent by the owner of the data or information. Example: Jane Logger needs access to class rosters in PeopleSoft. The request must be submitted by the Office of the Registrar.
- Requests for assistance with office moves should be sent two (2) business days in advance, whenever possible.
Thank you for your assistance with these small but important details!