Info for Parents Counselors

For Students Withdrawing

If you withdraw from the university before 60% of the semester has been completed, you may be required to repay a portion of the financial aid funds awarded to you because of regulations pertaining to federal and state financial aid programs.

When you withdraw completely from the university before finishing the semester, federal and state regulations require that the university determine whether a portion of your federal financial aid (other than Work-Study) must be returned. The amount of aid you may keep when you withdraw is in direct proportion to the length of time you remained enrolled during the semester.

If you were enrolled for 20% of the semester before you withdraw, 80% of your federal financial aid must be returned to the aid programs. If you stay through 50% of the semester, 50% of your aid must be returned. Once you complete 60% of the semester, however, you may keep 100% of the aid you received.

This means that if you withdraw before you have completed 60% of the semester, you may owe a financial aid repayment. Student Financial Services will notify you of any balance due the university as a result of returning the financial aid funds and the amount of financial aid you must repay. Financial aid repayments must be paid within a certain timeframe, after which any unpaid amount must be submitted to the Department of Education, thus preventing your ability to receive any further federal financial aid, until the amount is paid in full.

Unofficial withdrawal: Puget Sound is required by federal law to recalculate federal financial aid eligibility for students who drop out (stop attending classes and do not officially withdraw) and fail to earn a passing grade in at least one course per semester.