(one unit to be taken during the first three years)
Students in Artistic Approaches courses develop a critical, interpretive, and analytical understanding of art through the study of an artistic tradition.
- The Fine Arts include the visual, performing, and literary arts. Courses in Artistic Approaches may either be historical or creative in emphasis.
- Courses in Artistic Approaches examine significant developments in representative works of an artistic tradition.
- These courses provide opportunities for informed engagement with an artistic tradition and require students to reflect critically, both orally and in writing, about art and the creative process.
- ARTH 275 Studies in Western Art I: Ancient through Medieval Art
- ARTH 276 Studies in Western Art II: Fourteenth to the Twenty-First Century
- ARTH 278 Survey of Asian Art
- ARTH 280 William Morris and His World
- ARTH 302 The Art of Mexico and Mesoamerica
- ARTS 102 The Principles of 3D Design
- ARTS 147 A History of Ceramics Through Making
- ENGL 212 The Craft of Literature
- ENGL 213 Biography/Autobiography/Memoir
- HON 206 The Arts of the Classical World and the Middle Ages
- HUM 200 Homer to Hitchcock: The History of Ideas in the Arts
- HUM 290 Introduction to Cinema Studies
- HUM 367 Word and Image
- MUS 100 Survey of Western Music
- MUS 105 Music in the United States
- MUS 126 History of Rock Music
- MUS 220 The Broadway Musical
- MUS 221 Jazz History
- MUS 222 Music of the World's Peoples
- MUS 224 The Age of Haydn Mozart and Beethoven
- MUS 225 Romanticism in Music
- MUS 226 Twentieth-Century Music
- MUS 230 Music from Antiquity to the End of the Baroque Era (c. 500 B.C.E. to 1750)
- THTR 200 The Theatrical Experience