- Weight 100-300 lb, up to 6 ft long and with flippers.
- Carnivore, dental formula 3-1-4-1/2-1-4-1.
- Forage by swimming with hind feet arrange like a fish fin, diet fish, crabs, squid and many other sea creatures.
- Molars used to crunch clams and mussels.
- Commonly seen resting out of water on log booms, docks, piling and beaches in Puget Sound.
- Keep watch from ferries for the head and upper back above the water and then a dive showing their back when disturbed.
- Watch for flocks of birds in Puget Sound for signs of a seal. The birds might be scavenging bits of food as a seal shakes a large fish to rip off bite-sized pieces.