Howarth Hall

"Science Hall" was built in 1927 and was renamed Howarth Hall in 1932 in honor of Leonard Howarth, Tacoma resident and president of St. Paul & Tacoma Lumber Company.  When he died in 1930, Mr. Howarth left a bequest to be used for the benefit of Tacoma.  Funds from this bequest were granted to the university in order to pay off the debt on the building.