Residence Policy

The policies outlined in the Residence Policy apply to all students living in campus residential facilities. These policies are primarily designed to protect the rights, health, and safety of all individuals living in the community. At the same time, they place responsibility upon resident students to live in a manner that respects the rights of others and fosters a strong community. Failure to comply with these guidelines is a violation of the Student Integrity Code, and will be adjudicated through the normal student discipline process.

Policies for On-Campus Residences

In order to ensure a living environment that develops in students responsible citizenship and behavior which is consistent with community values, there is a need for defined expectations to serve as standards for student conduct. These standards are primarily based on the need to recognize and respect the rights of others and the need to comply with local, state and federal law.

The specific policies outlined below apply to all residents of university-owned living facilities (i.e. Residence Halls, Union Avenue facilities, Langlow House, Residence Houses and Trimble Hall). They are designed to complement the behavioral guidelines outlined in other university standards. All conditions stipulated in student housing contracts are enforced by this policy; a violation of those conditions is therefore a violation of this policy.

Prohibited Conduct

Residents are prohibited from:

  1. Obtaining university keys illicitly, duplicating university keys, loaning keys, retaining keys beyond authorized dates for returning them to the university, or altering door safety closures or locks;
  2. Causing loud or disturbing sounds which may interfere with the rights of other students or members of the surrounding community including, but not limited to, the right to rest, study, or be free of unnecessary or unwarranted distractions;
  3. Changing the physical structure or appearance of residences (including constructing lofts); removing or dismantling furniture; using any unauthorized risers to raise furniture (i.e. cement blocks, other furniture); unauthorized painting of rooms or furniture; tampering with facility equipment (including elevators, electrical power boxes, accessing roofs, etc.); possessing or using waterbeds or devices that pose a threat to the structural integrity of the facility; tampering with or unauthorized use of fire safety equipment;
  4. Unauthorized use, possession, or storage of ammunition, weapons (including air soft and paintball guns), gasoline, explosives (including fireworks), internal combustion engines, or any other flammable object or substance, including candles and incense, in any residential facility including the breezeways, storage areas, or other exterior areas of facilities ["weapons" include replica or facsimile guns or knives that a reasonable person may perceive as real weapons];
  5. Using refrigeration units in excess of 2.5 amps or cooking on open-flame or exposed-coil cooking appliances;
  6. Allowing pets, excluding fish, into any facility;
  7. Using sports equipment, engaging in water/snowball fights or any activity in a facility or within or upon an exterior area of a facility that may endanger the well-being of others or the facility;
  8. Possessing a keg, or other large container of alcoholic beverage, either full or empty, in any residential facility. Large containers of alcohol may include but not be limited to "spiked" punch bowls, beer balls, beer bongs, spodies, etc.
  9. Consuming alcoholic beverages at a function/party in any residential facility without obtaining a signed "Application to Host an Event with Alcohol in a Student Facility" and a Washington State Liquor Control Board banquet permit.

    Note: Individuals and/or groups residing in exclusive-use residences are permitted to sponsor functions at which alcohol is consumed provided that the individuals hosting the event and those consuming alcohol are of legal drinking age. Individuals or groups hosting functions involving alcohol are required to complete and submit the above mentioned forms. University applications are available from the Associate Dean of Students Office.  Banquet permits must be obtained from a State liquor store. Hosting functions at which alcohol is consumed without obtaining the necessary permits is a violation of the university's alcohol policies.

    The university requires "alcohol permits" to ensure that activities comply with university policy and state law. The university attempts, through the permit, to make individuals and groups aware of their responsibilities in sponsoring the activity.

Other Policies

  1. Rooms are to be occupied only by the persons assigned by the Residence Life Office. Rooms are reserved for students of the same sex only.  Any overnight guests must be of the same sex as the resident student who is hosting them and must stay no longer than three (3) nights unless otherwise approved by the Residence Life Office. Residents shall be responsible for ensuring that their guests abide by all University policies.
  2. Residents are required to follow proper check-in and checkout procedures as issued by the Residence Life Office. These include the turning in of keys, thorough cleaning of rooms, and checkout completed no later than the posted time for any given term. Residents who do not follow the proper checkout procedures will be assessed damage/cleaning charges and possibly an improper checkout fee (minimally $75). Residents will be held financially responsible for any keys not returned at the time of checkout and any unclaimed public-area damage to facilities through a process of equal distribution among all residents of their living area for the cost of the repairs.
  3. Residents may not occupy for any reason unauthorized or unapproved areas within any residential facility or its exterior areas, such as roofs, windows or window ledges.
  4. Residents must comply with requests of resident assistants, community coordinators or other university officials charged with responsibility for guaranteeing community standards, this policy, the Student Integrity Code, or other university policies.
  5. Residents must maintain and contribute to community standards of health and cleanliness.
  6. Residents are required to comply with all local, state and federal laws.
  7. Storage of personal property during the school year and over break periods is at the resident's own risk. Specific storage guidelines are available in the Residence Life Office.  All stored items must be labeled with university stickers. Only students who plan to return to campus housing after summer recess may be granted storage. Stored items will not be accessible during summer recess. Storage is limited to boxed items only, and is available in limited quantities.
  8. All students will comply with the escort policy.  All non-residents must be escorted by a member of the Residential Community.
  9. All residents must comply with fire regulations, including responding to fire alarms (this includes not tampering with door closures).
  10. Residents must abide by all fire safety requests of the university staff. Staff will regularly check for fire safety issues.
  11. It is university policy to respect each resident's right to maximum privacy in his or her room. In most cases, twenty-four-hour notice will be given prior to entering a student room. However, professional staff from Residence Life and/or Security Services, or their authorized designees, may enter a resident's room with less than twenty-four-hour notice to respond to an emergency, to perform maintenance work or a fire safety inspection, to conduct fire drills, to ensure compliance with health standards, or to search the room if there is reason to believe there have been violations of university policy or state or federal law. Rooms may also be entered during break periods for safety inspections.
  12. Residents may not alter or adjust existing telephone service, cable television connections with out prior approval from the Associate Vice President for Business Services.  Additional cable service may be obtained at cost from the university cable vendor, provided the residents room has been previously wired for cable.  Mounted receivers such as Satellite dishes and antennas are not allowed.  Residents are not permitted to utilize outside vendors for additional telephone lines
  13. Residents may not alter or adjust existing computer/network connections with out prior approval of Technology Services.  Residents may not attach unregistered equipment to the network.  Attached equipment must be registered in accordance with policies of the Residential Network (ResNet).
  14. Operating any personal or private business out of any university owned residence is prohibited.  This includes the use of telephone, computer and network connections.

Questions regarding the university Residence Policy should be directed to the Residence Life Office (3209 N. 15th St.), 253.879.3317.

Housing Assignment Process

To secure university housing for next year you must participate in the Housing Lottery process. This section is designed to give you basic information about that process.

A $200 residential deposit should be on file with the Student Accounts office. Following is a glossary of terms that may be helpful as you continue with this section:

  • Contract
    The housing contract is an official contract with the university binding for one full academic year. Once it is signed, the student is obligated to live on-campus for the full year, although the location on campus may change if the student chose to move for any reason. 
  • Homesteading 
    Homesteading refers to the process for keeping the room a student is currently living in for another year.  In other words, students living in the Residence Halls are given first priority to remain in their current room. By using the homesteading process, they are guaranteed that Residence Hall space before anyone else has an opportunity to sign up.  Students in Trimble may apply to homestead. However, they are not guaranteed the exact same space and suite unless they have a group of Trimble residents that want to return together and can fill the entire suite. Students in Houses do not have the option to homestead. 
  • Lottery 
    The process all students will go through if they want to live on-campus next year in order to select their space and sign their contract. The only exceptions are people that are placed before the lottery, which includes: Language and Theme Houses, Greek Houses, Residence Life Staff, Resident Student Association members, and those who choose to Homestead.
  • Proxy 
    This is a person who is given permission to sign up another student for a space. If a student is unable to attend the lottery themselves for whatever reason, they may fill out a contract and a proxy form and the chosen proxy then has the ability to attend the lottery in their place.

All current on-campus students will receive a random lottery number based on class priority (seniors will receive the best numbers and so forth). With the assigned number students will come to the published lottery location at their designated time. There will be stations representing the variety of spaces we have available and they will be able to select and contract for their space at this time.

General Timeline is as follows (all theme house applications are available at the Residence Life Office or online):

  • January/February
    Theme house information will be available and information sessions will be scheduled.
  • February
    Language House selection will occur prior to the lottery and applications will be due in early February. Theme House applications will be due in early February and interviews generally follow a few days after.

    If you are hoping to homestead in Trimble, you will fill out a special application. If you want to homestead in the Residence Halls (meaning you would stay in your current room next year) you will fill out a housing contract in Student Development during the posted time which will be prior to housing lottery in late February/early March. Students are not allowed to homestead residential houses.

    Information sessions will be available about the lottery process. It is highly recommended that all students attend one of these informational meetings.
  • March
    Greek contracts are due March 1. Additional information on Greek housing is available under Greek Life on the following pages. The Housing Lottery will take place in early March.

    If someone is unable to attend the lottery they may send a “proxy” in their place with a proxy form (available on-line or at the Student Development Office). The form needs to have a signed Residential Contract allowing the proxy to pick a space for that student.

    If you are signing up for a room, suite, or house with one or more additional students you  will all want to come to the lottery together to assure you each receive the spaces desired. Your entire group is allowed to come to the lottery with the student in your group that has the lowest lottery number. Residence Life is unable to hold spaces for students who may come through the lottery at a later time. Again, the use of the proxy form is important.

    If you are an off-campus student, but want to live on campus next year, contact Student Development at 253.879.3317 or email to request a number in the lottery.
  • April
    Following the lottery process in March any students that did not go through the process and are now interested in housing should schedule an appointment in Student Development to meet with the Assistant Director to choose from the available spaces.
  • July
    Emails will be sent to all contracted students confirming their placements and move-in information for the upcoming year and providing them with a link to their Cascade account that will provide them with updated information on their roommates/suitemates/housemates.

Smoking Policy

The university protects the public health by prohibiting smoking in all university facilities so that non-smokers are guaranteed smoke-free air.  It is the policy of the University of Puget Sound that students, faculty, staff, and visitor to the university are entitled to live, study, work, etc., in areas that are free of tobacco smoke.  In applications of this policy, responsibility rests with faculty, staff, students, and visitors who do smoke to defer to the health and preferences of other faculty, staff, students and visitors.  It is the responsibility of department heads and supervisors and Residential Programs staff to enforce this policy.  Smoking is prohibited in all academic, administrative, residential and public buildings of the university.  This includes all offices, classrooms, restrooms, Facilities Services shops, vehicles and all common areas within buildings and residences.