Formed in 1900, the University of Puget Sound Women’s League is a community of supporters who raise funds to provide scholarships that support the educational goals of University of Puget Sound students.

"At the annual Fieldhouse Flea Market, we typically raise over $30,000 for our scholarship fund. Beyond their philanthropic activities on behalf of Puget Sound students, our members are simply a wonderful and interesting group of accomplished alumni, spouses of alumni, current and retired staff members, friends of the college, and parents of students." Carlene Garner, Women’s League President 2018-2020

Join the Women's League!
Attend a Member's Meeting
Learn more about our history
Hear from current members
Get involved in the Flea Market (on hold until further notice)


Our
History
The Women's University League at the University of Puget Sound was formed in 1900 to support the university. Our fund raising efforts throughout the years have provided a variety of aid to the school.

The early history of the League includes providing financial assistance for a building fund overdraft in 1903 and establishing a Home Economics Department.

When Dr. and Mrs. Todd came to Puget Sound in 1913, Mrs. Todd quickly became active in the League. Soon thereafter, a new heating plant was needed for the girls' dormitory on the old campus, and the Women's League gave $450 toward it.

During these early days, the Women's League also supported female graduates, who at that time wore white dresses instead of caps and gowns. The League made these dresses, as some girls could not afford to buy one.

In 1931 the sum of $5,180 raised by the League was given to the trustees to be used as part of a fund to be matched by the Rockefeller Foundation. Around this time, there was a room in Jones Hall, called the YWCA Room, maintained by the League. Old treasury books show numerous disbursements from the League for refurbishing this room, which was used by women students for meetings.

When the first women's residence hall, Anderson Hall, was opened for occupancy on February 1, 1939, it was furnished entirely by the League.

Since that time, the League has pledged to numerous projects on campus. They furnished the lounge of the first men's dormitory, Todd Hall. They pledged $5,000 to furnish the lounge of the new Music Building. Next came $2,500 for a patio and landscaping in front of Anderson Hall. A pledge of $3,300 was made to each of the next two residence halls.

This was accomplished by devoted members who worked to sell tickets to concerts, lectures, and fashion shows, to hold rummage sales, to compile two editions of a cookbook, and since 1968, to produce the annual flea market.

A common goal has bound the members into a loving, warm group to which they welcome any and all who care to be a part of this wonderful organization.

Alumni, parents, staff, and community members share why they joined the Women's League.