Outdoor Leadership Experience (OLE)
OLE is a course to help leaders to transfer outdoor and leadership experience to the field of outdoor leadership. The goal of this training is for leaders to transfer their outdoor and facilitation skills to effectively and safely lead outdoor trips for PSO and other groups beyond Puget Sound. Much of the training emphasizes personal growth, leadership skills, group development. The training also emphasizes risk management and the outdoor skills necessary to effectively lead dayhikes, backpacking and other trips for Puget Sound.
Outdoor Leadership Experience - information and application
See the application for more information on OLE. OLE is required unless you have previous trip leading background with another group. If you have led trips for another group contact Justin Canny to discuss your options (see sidebar for contact information).
Spring Outdoor leadership applications will be available in early February. We will have an orientation meeting before spring break and classes will start in early April. Classes will run for 5 weeks and will culminate with a field course from May 14 - 20, 2018. We will also have a number of opportunities for leaders to complete your required wilderness medical training on campus (read more to find out which course is appropriate for you).
- OLE course fee is $60 which is less than half the cost of the program
- Other costs include some personal backpacking equipment (we will supply backpacks, food and group equipment).
- Wilderness Medical Training - either a WFA, WFR or WAFA are required to lead overnight trips. See the certifications and training sheet below.
- Food Handler permit - you will need a food handler permit to prepare and serve food. See the certifications and training sheet below.
- If these costs are a barrier to your involvement PSO will do our best to make this affordable to you. Please email Justin Canny and include what costs you can cover and what assistance you would like from PSO.
O.L.E. Application Process for New Leaders
The application is online this year. In order to be prepared for the online application please prepare these documents first. Then click on the application below. Applications have been extended to Sunday March 3 at 11:59pm.
- What is OLE? Overview of OLE Spring 2019
- Review the PSO Leader Certifications and Training information
- Outdoor and Leadership Experience Resume
- Your schedule commitment schedule
- Link to O.L.E. Application - due Sunday March 3, 2019 by 11:59 pm PST
O.L.E. Coordinator Application - extended to Sunday March 3 at 11:59 pm
OLE Facilitator & Coordinator Application
Climbing Leadership Instructor Course
- Are you interested in introducing Puget Sound students to rock Climbing?
- Leading rock climbing trips with PSO?
- Do you have outdoor experience leading sport climbs, lead-belaying, setting up and cleaning sport anchors, and rappelling?
- Do you now or will you soon have a wilderness medical training?
- Join PSO for the Rock Climbing Instructor Course
Introduction to Outdoor Leadership readings from:
The Adventure Gap
OLE Teaching Topics and Resources
PSO Trip Planning Process
See the PSO Leader Resource page
Teaching Topic Resources
Leave No Trace Teaching Topic Resources