Registration for Courses of Instruction

Dates for Registration
Dates of registration for each session are listed in the Academic Calendar available on the Calendar pages of the Puget Sound website. Classes are subject to change or cancellation due to lack of enrollment or other extenuating circumstances. Questions concerning registration, including repeat registration for the same course, should be directed to the Office of the Registrar (Jones Hall, Room 013; 253.879.3217).

Back to Top


Students register for classes for the next semester during the preregistration and the open registration periods. This reserves space until the first day of class provided that the student confirms the registration with Student Financial Services by the designated date. If a student fails to attend the first class session or to notify the instructor in advance of a first-day absence, the instructor may ask the Registrar to drop the student from the course, thereby opening a place for another student.

Back to Top

Wait-Listing Classes
During the preregistration and open registration periods, students may wait-list one or two closed classes. As spaces become available in closed classes, the Office of the Registrar will register wait-listed students into those seats. Students will be notified when they are entered into a class via the wait-list. However, students should feel free to check periodically with the Office of the Registrar to determine their current wait-list status. Once the semester begins, the wait-list is no longer in effect; students must then go through the regular add/drop procedure in order to add courses to their schedules.

Back to Top

Gateway Policy
Courses may be designed for students with a specified characteristic (such as class standing, major, or program participation) that is fundamental to the academic objectives of the course. Some 100-level courses are designed primarily for freshmen, and all 100- and 200-level courses are normally constructed for lower-division students. Faculty may design such courses with an expectation that freshman and sophomores need different levels of guidance and different forms of challenge than do juniors or seniors, who are moving toward greater intellectual independence. However, certain of these courses may consistently be substantially filled with more advanced students because of the units-earned registration priority criterion. When such courses serve in part as gateway courses for a major or minor, lack of access for lower-division students may create obstacles to their beginning to meet major requirements in a timely way.

The Gateway Policy is designed to provide access to appropriate curricular opportunities for all students. Academic department chairs, program directors, and the Registrar will work together each semester to identify courses where student access to 100 level and gateway courses may be difficult, and they will allocate seats as necessary. This collaboration will occur early enough in the semester to allow sufficient time for the Registrar to publicize allocations in the schedule of classes.

To help monitor this policy, the Academic Standards Committee will consult with the Registrar and with the Director of Academic Advising to identify 100- and 200-level courses that appear not to be available to their intended freshman and sophomore student populations. The Committee will ask that department chairs, program directors, and the Registrar work together to manage better the allocation of seats for these courses. Likewise, the Academic Standards Committee shall consider whether there has been any negative impact of specified allocations on the academic progress of juniors and seniors in meeting Core, major, or program requirements. The Committee shall ask that department chairs, school directors, and the Registrar work together to accommodate the curricular needs of all students.

Back to Top

Registration and Attendance/Participation
All students regularly attending a course must be admitted by the Office of Admission or by the Office of the Registrar and registered for either credit or audit. It is the student’s responsibility to be properly registered. It is the instructor’s responsibility to restrict attendance and participation in the class to those students properly registered. Visitors to classes are expected to conform to visitor regulations. Infant sand/or small children may not attend classes. (See the section titled “Course Requirements.”)

As described in the “Preregistration” section above, if a student fails to attend the first class session or to notify the instructor in advance of a first-day absence, the instructor may ask the Registrar to drop the student from the course, thereby freeing a place for another student.

Regular class attendance is expected of all students. Absence from class for any reason does not excuse the student from completing all course assignments and requirements.

An instructor who notes a significant pattern of absence on the part of a student should submit a Student Alert to the Office of Academic Advising, who will contact and inform the student of the instructor’s concerns. When non-attendance is in the instructor’s judgment excessive, the instructor may levy a grade penalty or may direct the registrar to drop the student from the course. If a student is dropped for nonattendance after the tenth week of class, a WF grade is automatically assigned.

Moreover, when non-attendance is excessive, as described in the preceding paragraph, in all of a student’s academic courses, the student is considered to have voluntarily withdrawn from the university. The Registrar will then officially drop the student from all registered courses and will so inform the student. Once dropped from all courses, the student is required to leave campus. If a student is dropped from all registered courses after the tenth week of class, a WF grade is automatically assigned. (See the sections titled “Withdrawal From a Course/From the University,” and “Withdrawal Grades.”)

Back to top

Disruptive Class Behavior
Disruptive class behavior is unacceptable. Disruptive class behavior is behavior which, in the judgment of the instructor, impedes other students’ opportunity to learn and that directly and significantly interferes with class objectives. Should such behavior occur, the instructor is expected to inform the student and the Director of Academic Advising of the behavior deemed to be problematic and to attempt to work out a solution to the problem. If a solution cannot be reached, the instructor will direct the student to leave class and will refer the matter to the Director of Academic Advising. Permission to return to class will be granted only after the student meets with the Director of Academic Advising and signs a contract agreeing to appropriate ameliorative action. If the disruptive behavior continues, the instructor may direct the Registrar to drop the student from the course. Students wishing to appeal an administrative drop for class disruption may do so by petition to the Academic Standards Committee. In such cases, students will continue to be barred from class until the Committee renders its decision. If a student is dropped from a class for disruptive behavior after the sixth week of class, a WF grade is automatically assigned.

Back to Top

Late Registration
Late registration is possible through the last day to enter a class published in the calendar. The student is responsible for contacting his or her advisor during office hours and for completing the registration process during regular hours in the respective university offices. A late registration fee may be charged on and after the first day of classes.

Back to Top

Liability Release
Courses which entail an unusual danger factor require a properly signed and notarized Liability Release form which may be obtained from Security Services. Study abroad also requires this form. Failure to complete the form for study abroad, available in the Office of International Programs (Howarth Hall, Room 215), will result in dismissal from the study abroad program.

Back to Top

Change of Registration
Each student is responsible for each course in which that student is registered. Once registered, a student may change the class schedule through their portal or by reporting to the Office of the Registrar and processing an official Add/Drop form. After the last published day to add or enter a course, courses may be dropped but none added. If an instructor is not available and a deadline must be met, the department chair, the Registrar, or an Associate Academic Dean may approve the change.

Back to Top

Cancellation of Registration
The Academic Standards Committee has jurisdiction over forgery of faculty signatures on registration, Add/Drop, and Petition forms, or misuse of advisor or instructor permission codes. Taking another person’s signature as one’s own is a serious offense. Not only does forgery violate the spirit of trust necessary for the academic community to function effectively, but also this frequently carries with it severe penalties in other societal contexts. Faculty members must forward evidence of forgeries or misuse of codes to the Office of the Registrar.

Upon being notified that a forged signature exists on any document or that a code has been misused, the Registrar informs the Academic Standards Committee. The Registrar may consider any form with a forged signature or misused code to be invalid and any action  taken on the basis of such a document will be subject to cancellation. For example, should the forged signature appear on a registration form, the student’s registration may be withdrawn. Should the forged signature appear on an Add/Drop form, the add or drop action will be canceled. Petitions containing invalid signatures will be rejected regardless of the request. Letters notifying students of the action taken in these cases will be placed in the official academic record of the student. Additional sanctions may also result (see the section titled Academic Integrity).

Back to Top

Activity Credit Limit
When the limit of 2.00 units on activity credit has been reached, additional activity courses may be taken and listed on the transcript. Such courses do not accumulate credit toward the degree, points toward the term or cumulative grade point averages, or units toward work completed successfully.

Back to Top

Re-registration for the Same Course (Repeating a Course)

A student may repeat a course one time (see paragraph below for repeating a First-Year Seminar). This policy allows students to take a course again to improve a grade or to complete a course for which the student previously received a W or WF grade. Both courses and grades remain on the student’s permanent academic record. The course with the higher grade is included in unit and grade point average calculations. If one of the assigned grades is a W, then the other assigned grade is used in unit and grade point average calculations. If a student attempting to improve a grade earns the same grade again, then the more recent grade is included in the appropriate calculations.

A student who receives an F or WF grade for a Seminar in Scholarly Inquiry 1 may repeat that course by taking any other Seminar in Scholarly Inquiry 1 for which the student is eligible to enroll. Similarly, a student who receives an F or WF grade for a Seminar in Scholarly Inquiry 2 may repeat that course by  taking any other seminar in Scholarly Inquiry 2 for which the student is eligible to enroll.

An attempt of a course occurs when a student enrolls for a course and withdraws after the date for withdrawal without record.

Exceptions to this policy are Independent Study, Co-operative Education, Physical Education activity courses, and varsity sports courses, COMM 292, music performing groups, and any course with a course description stating that the course may be repeated for credit.

A student may ask to repeat a course at another institution by submitting a Transfer Evaluation Request to the Office of the Registrar. The form is available electronically at  and may be attached to an email message addressed to  Permission may be granted subject to the student’s status and with the specific approval of the appropriate academic department. (Some departments do not allow Puget Sound courses in which the student earned a low grade to be repeated at another institution.) If a Puget Sound course is then repeated at another institution, and if the grade earned elsewhere is the higher of the two, the Puget Sound grade will be removed from the grade point average, but the transfer grade will not be computed in the grade point average. Credit for the Puget Sound course will be removed and replaced by the transfer credit, even if there is a difference between the two. (See section titled “Transfer Information” for other policies governing transfer credit.)

Back to Top

Regression Rule
Students who complete coursework at an intermediate or advanced level without first completing the lower level introductory courses may not then go back and take the lower level courses for credit. This rule applies primarily to coursework in mathematics, the sciences, and foreign language. It may also apply in other departments in which there is a clear content sequence between courses.

Back to Top

Redundancy Rule

Students are encouraged to seek diversity and breadth in their coursework. Diversity and breadth are possible only when courses are reasonably free of redundant content. Redundancy occurs when a student takes a course that covers topics substantially similar to topics covered in another course. Credit for redundant courses is not allowed. Redundancy is determined by the appropriate academic department and the Registrar. If a student enrolls in a course that appears to have content similar to the content of a course already taken, whether at Puget Sound or elsewhere, the student should come to the Office of the Registrar (Jones Hall, Room 013) to make sure the Redundancy Rule is not being violated. Student records are periodically audited for compliance with university policy. When a student is found to have redundant credit, the student’s record is adjusted to remove the duplication. The grade entering the grade point average is the grade earned in the course for which credit is allowed.

The following courses have been identified as redundant:
ARTH 275 and HON 206
BIOL 101 and BIOL 111
BIOL 361 and CHEM 461
BUS 305 and BUS 320
BUS 310 and BUS 335
BUS 440 and BUS 493 Entrepreneurship
CHEM 110 and CHEM 115
CHEM 120 and CHEM 230
CHEM 230 and CHEM 231
CHEM 461 and BIOL 361
CONN 312 and STS 388
GEOL 101 and GEOL 104
HIST 115 and HIST 307
HON 206 and ARTH 275
HON 212 and PHYS 105
HON 213 and MATH 300
HUM 304 and HUM 321
MATH 110, MATH 150, or MATH 160, and then MATH 103
MATH 180, MATH 181, or MATH 280, and then MATH 170
MATH 300 and HON 213
PHYS 105 and HON 212
PHYS 111 and PHYS 121
PHYS 112 and PHYS 122
SSI1 173 and STS 388
STS 144 and STS 338
STS 388 and CONN 312
STS 388 and SSI1 173

The university has identified Advanced Placement (AP) and International Baccalaureate (IB) Examinations that correspond to specific courses in the university’s curriculum. When a student is awarded credit for an AP or IB Examination that corresponds to a Puget Sound course, that student is granted an exemption from that course and it is so noted on the AP Grade Report under the “Specific Courses Exempted” heading or on the IB Transcript of Grades next to the examination grade. A student with a course exemption is subject to reregistration, regression, and redundancy rules for that course, as well as any regulations of the corresponding academic department. This means a student may not receive credit for a course for which an exemption was granted; nor may a student receive credit for a course covering material that is prerequisite to, or at a lower level than, the exempted course; nor may a student receive credit for a course covering similar material; and a student must observe all regulations of the corresponding academic department outlining the credit restrictions and the proper sequence of courses.

When a student is awarded credit for an AP or IB Examination that does not correspond to a Puget Sound course, that student is granted elective credit. Students wishing to continue their study in a discipline in which they have received this elective credit should first consult with an academic evaluator in the Office of the Registrar (Jones Hall, Room 013). If appropriate, the evaluator will assist the student in making arrangements with the proper academic department for an examination or interview in order to determine proper placement in an academic program. Additionally, the evaluator will record the department’s evaluation in the student’s academic record.

Back to Top

Tuition and Fee Payment
The registration process is complete only when payment arrangements are confirmed by Student Financial Services. The Bulletin currently in effect is a standard reference for official university policies and regulations governing student financial obligations, and all students are expected and presumed to be familiar with the policies, regulations, and procedures as published.

Back to Top

Concurrent Enrollment in Another Institution
If a degree-seeking student wishes to take a course at another institution concurrently with University of Puget Sound enrollment, such enrollment must be approved by petition to the Academic Standards Committee prior to beginning such study. Failure to receive prior permission to earn concurrent credit at another institution will result in the denial of the use of the credit toward meeting Puget Sound degree requirements.(See the section titled "Transfer Information" for other limitations on transfer credit.)

Back to Top

Withdrawal From a Course/Withdrawal From the University
Once the semester begins, a student may terminate his or her responsibility for a registered course, or for all registered courses, by completing the official withdrawal process through the Office of the Registrar.

If a student stops attending class without completing an official withdrawal, and circumstances are such that the instructor does not direct the Registrar to drop the student, the instructor must assign a letter grade based on the work completed by the student minus penalties for any missing assignments and for absences (see the section titled "Withdrawal Grades").

Failure to complete the term does not cancel the student’s obligation to pay tuition and all other charges in full. For specific details regarding tuition refund policies contact Student Financial Services (Jones Hall, Room 019; 253.879.3214).

Back to Top