Civic Engagement & Social Justice
Welcome to the home of civic engagement, volunteering, and social justice education at the University of Puget Sound. We are housed in the Center for Intercultural and Civic Engagement (CICE) and serve as the one of the ways for students to connect with the city of Tacoma for civic engagement, social justice, and service-learning activities. Here, students are urged to draw connections between their curricular studies, co-curricular involvement, and off-campus communities. CICE and its programs nurture these connections by offering students many opportunities to become active members of our community while completing their degree at the University of Puget Sound.
Did you know?
- CICE is also lovingly referred to as the "Yellow House” because of its yellow paint, because we are just that creative.
- CICE works to connect students with many community partner agencies and nonprofits, seeking to help students contribute to Tacoma, while providing them with unique opportunities to experience all the city has to offer.
- Many of our student employees become involved in areas that are related to their academic interests, while others decide to explore a newly discovered passion, concern, or something of personal significance.
- CICE offers students access, either as a group or as an individual, to area agencies and organizations who welcome their time, energy, and ideas.
- Some examples of areas that that Puget Sound students have developed strong relationships and support with are youth advocacy groups, ecological advocacy, food insecurity organizations, and reproductive rights.