Living on Campus and Studying Abroad

The Housing Selection Proces

If you are currently abroad, you will receive a housing selection time based on your class standing or group registration if you apply as a member of a group. There is no need to request a selection time.

Students planning on studying abroad either fall or spring semester, and interested in living on campus the semester they are on campus should fill out the Housing Application for Continuing Students. 

  • Students interested in living with a group of other rising juniors and seniors should encourage their peers not studying abroad to choose their housing via self-service starting February 1. The student studying abroad should submit a housing application, indicating your interest in living in the house/flat/suite they have all chosen to live in. 
  • Students interested in living with a group that contains other rising sophomores should apply for group registration just as all other groups continaing sophomores. 
  • Students studying abroad and interested in living on-campus in any space should fill out the housing application. Students will be notified prior to March 1 of where they have been manually placed based on their housing application preferences. When appropriate, Residence Life will contact students directly if clarifications are necessary. 

Filing out the Housing Application

Students will be prompted in the housing application to indicate the housing they are interested in. Students may name a specific room or house, or be generic such as “Commencement.” Students should indicate on their housing application if they have already arranged for two students to live in one bed space alternating semesters. Residence Life will follow up with all students who are studying abroad to pair students, when possible, with another student studying abroad the opposite semester to occupy a specific space for the year.

  • Students who have pre selected a partner to alternate their assignment with for the term they are away (one student fall semester, one student spring semester) should fill out a housing application based on the group size for fall semester and note who would be alternating spaces in the spring in the final open ended question of the application. For example, a student would note: "Ronald Thomas is swapping places with Mike Segawa spring semester." 
  • If you are interested in living in one of the Commencement Hall themed programs, such as the International District, you will need to apply with the appropriate faculty/staff member. Students interested in living in an unaffiliated flat should submit a housing application indicating this interest. 
  • Further questions about your housing options for next year? Do not hesitate to contact