SLATER MUSEUM OF NATURAL HISTORY
The Slater Museum of Natural History was founded as the Puget Sound Museum of Natural History in 1930. James R. Slater started the museum as a collection of reptiles and amphibians and was the director from 1930-1951. The Bird Division was established in 1934 by Gordon D. Alcorn; the Mammal Division in 1946 by Murray L. Johnson. The museum owes its stature and reputation to these three individuals, their associates, and the collections that were donated to the museum because of their activities. Subsequent directors were Alcorn from 1951-1972 ad from 1983-1989, and Dennis R. Paulson from 1990-2004. Peter Wimberger serves as the current director. Major collections received by the museum include mammals from Stanley G. Jewett, Robert and Virginia Rausch, and Chris and Rita Maser; birds from Jewett, John B. Hurley, E.A. Kitchin, and J. Hooper Bowles; and insects from Gordon H. Orians and Jack C. Schultz.