Join us to learn more about the history of our country, our cities and how this relates to being a part of the Tacoma and Puget Sound Communities.
Before you meet with your group to discuss I Am Puget Sound on Wednesday at 6:00 p.m. we encourage you to take a look at these resources.
What is Redlining?
Interactive Map on Redlining:
This is the map from your Bookends reader which was created by a Puget Sound Alumni and student of Professor Gomez. Find your home town or if its a smaller town find a city you are familiar with. Also take a look at your new home in Tacoma.
I Am Puget Sound Presentation:
Listen to the recorded presentation Tuesday or Wednesday before your Orientation group meeting at 6:00 p.m. on Wednesday.
At University of Puget Sound
- Race & Pedagogy Institute www.pugetsound.edu/rpi
- RPI Community Partners Forum (monthly, during academic year)
- Student Association for Race & Pedagogy Institute (SARPI)
- Classes – all African American Studies courses; History courses (ie: H379 – Tacoma Public History); etc.
- Center for Student Support
- Office of Diversity & Inclusion
- Segregated by Design (2018) www.segregatedbydesign.com
- How We Got Here: A Reckoning with U.S. and Tacoma History (2018) https://youtu.be/bsRW81F_zR0
- How Housing Descrimination is Perpetuated Today