Womens Soccer Team Head to NCAA Third Round

November 18, 2013

For the second time in as many nights, the Puget Sound women's soccer team went to double overtime in an NCAA tournament match. Also for the second time in as many nights, the Loggers scored in the second minute of the second overtime, this time beating Hardin-Simmons 1-0 to advance to the third round of the NCAA tournament.

Amalia Acorda-Fey netted the game winner at 101:47. She collected a rebound from a shot she had taken four seconds earlier and finished it into the far post for her ninth of the year and first in the postseason.

The Loggers lasted to the second overtime after withstanding pressure from the Cowgirls in the first . Hardin-Simmons took three shots in the first overtime. Lauren Thomas saved a shot by Hardin-Simmons' Taylor Thigpen in the second minute of the period, and the Logger defense blocked another shot by the Cowgirls two minutes later. With just over two minutes left in the period, the Loggers had to deal with a Cowgirl free kick close to the Puget Sound box. The Logger defense blocked the resulting shot and made it through the overtime unscathed.

The Loggers opened the match with four shots in the first 10 minutes. Jordyn McLuen fired a shot on frame just 36 seconds into the match, but Hardin-Simmons goalie Lexi Stinson got her hands on it to keep the Loggers from an early goal. Acorda-Fey registered two more shots in the 5th minute, sending one wide, and then heading a corner on frame that was saved by Stinson. Cassie Winter fired a shot on target at 9:33 as well, but Stinson again saved it and kept the score level.

Casey Thayer got into the action two minutes later, stopping a shot by the Cowgirls' Thigpen. Thayer stopped another Thigpen shot in the 16th minute for her second of two saves on the day.

Puget Sound took just one shot in the second half, and that came in the 47th minute. Acorda-Fey sent an attempt wide of the net and out for a goal kick. They also attempted one corner in the second period which came in the 89th minute, but nothing came of it.

Hardin-Simmons took eight shots in the second. Thomas made saves on three of those shots while other Logger defenders blocked two more. The other three went either high or wide of the goal mouth.

Both Thigpen and Acorda-Fey took six shots in the match, although Thigpen put four on target as opposed to one shot on goal—the game-winner—for Acorda-Fey. Thomas made four saves while both Thayer and Stinson tallied two apiece. The Cowgirls out-shot the Loggers 14-7, but both teams took three corners each.

Defensively, the Loggers tallied their 16th clean sheet of the season. They have also kept their opponents scoreless in their last 562 minutes of game play, their second scoreless streak of that length this season.

With the victory, the Loggers (17-2-2, 13-1-2 NWC) advance to the third round of the NCAA tournament for the first time since 2007, when they made it it to the fourth round, losing in the national quarter-final. The Loggers will take on Washington-St. Louis in St. Louis, Mo., in the third round. Thomas More and Capital are also in the St. Louis sectional for the third and fourth rounds.

More Athletics News